Interpret brisket scores

That's something I was wondering about ... do some judges score you down for NOT putting burnt ends in when they taste your slices.
Theoretically, you are only judged by what's in the box. The judges are not supposed to expect anything but judge what is presented.

I know that is what they are taught in class but I don't believe most of them judge that way. Try something outside the box and see what happens.

Theoretically, you are only judged by what's in the box. The judges are not supposed to expect anything but judge what is presented.

The 7-8-7-8-7 in taste is really bad. You can to figure out why they really didnt like the taste. The app was there and the tenderness was alright. But you have to figure out the taste.

The 7-8-7-8-7 in taste is really bad. You can to figure out why they really didnt like the taste. The app was there and the tenderness was alright. But you have to figure out the taste.

You beat me to it!!!

If the OP is trying to figure out how to get more consistent scores, then it appears that taste and tenderness need to be addressed. Now, I am well aware that they go hand in hand, and tenderness will impact taste, but taste does not impact tenderness in the same way, and with all 7's and 8's in taste, it appears there is something a bit off there.

Those last three or four slices look substantially more tender than the others, and yes a brisket flat can change that much in a 3-4" space. When I trim, I cut three slices, then I check tenderness again on the next slice, cut three more, check tenderness...I usually get about 12-16 slices out of my flat, and then I can gauge if I need to start slicing a hair thicker or thinner as I go, and I can pick the best 8 that will end up in my box.

Also, if you knew the BE's were off, then they should have never made it in the box. There are a lot of teams that do not turn in BEs on a regular basis. We are not one of those teams, but if I felt mine were sub-par one weekend, I certainly would not put them out there for the judges to rate me on.

Had a competition this weekend where we placed 8th in brisket (non KCBS). We cooked a 16lb SRF brisket. My teammate and I have had some disagreement on doneness (yes I'm using made up words) with brisket. He is always afraid i'm going to "dry it out" and it gets pulled off too early. well sure as **** this weekend he pulled the point and flat off way too early because the internal temp was 206. The corners of the flat were ok, but the middle where we really wanted to get the slices were totally under done and like rubber bands. I had all but given up hope until we were able to slice the other side of it and the slices were very close to being perfect. Put the best 6 in the box and we were lucky enough to get a call... still pissed because I know flavor wise that's the best brisket I've ever cooked.

For the most part, I believe KCBS has morphed into a 3 PT scoring system of 9-8-7 with 7=fair, 8=good and 9=excellent. Anything below 7 is just bad. Therefore those 6's meant bad BBQ and those 7's just fair BBQ. You have to get 8's & 9's to get calls and the 9's need to outnumber the 8's.

Come on up to the northeast!

"What did you think?"

"It was good."

"Why did you give it a 6 then?"

"KCBS says 6 is average, and the average competition barbecue should be good, so i gave it a 6."

Maybe? I guess I don't know. Would the first two slices be so much different from the next two? All the slices are stacked as I cut them from the flat.

Yes. Maybe not two right next to each other, but there can be a difference between slice 1 and slice 7. Next time cut a slice from each end of the flat, and set that aside. After your box goes in and the flat slices have been sitting a while, try them and see if they are the same. Sometimes they will be, sometimes they aren't even close.

I appreciate the advice. You're very right about the taste. My "really bad" scores in that are easy enough to understand. That's something I was able to identify that I need to work on. The tenderness scores aren't exactly "alright" as they averaged the same 7.5 that my taste scores did, but that's where my confusion was - understanding how tenderness ranged from two low 6's to two high 9's...
This thread has been very enlightening to helping me grasp this though!

You beat me to it!!!

If the OP is trying to figure out how to get more consistent scores, then it appears that taste and tenderness need to be addressed. Now, I am well aware that they go hand in hand, and tenderness will impact taste, but taste does not impact tenderness in the same way, and with all 7's and 8's in taste, it appears there is something a bit off there.

Those last three or four slices look substantially more tender than the others, and yes a brisket flat can change that much in a 3-4" space. When I trim, I cut three slices, then I check tenderness again on the next slice, cut three more, check tenderness...I usually get about 12-16 slices out of my flat, and then I can gauge if I need to start slicing a hair thicker or thinner as I go, and I can pick the best 8 that will end up in my box.

Also, if you knew the BE's were off, then they should have never made it in the box. There are a lot of teams that do not turn in BEs on a regular basis. We are not one of those teams, but if I felt mine were sub-par one weekend, I certainly would not put them out there for the judges to rate me on.

Well, I guess I didn't realize that my BE's were that far off. Again, I thought my tenderness was right on both the slices and the BE's, but as I've admitted, I just don't have that much KCBS experience with brisket (this was my 4th comp - two last year, second this year) so I'm reaching out to you guys for help. It seems like the BE's were most likely off, and that I should avoid turning them in unless I'm 100% certain they're excellent. This is something that I hadn't thought about yet. While I was testing each piece for feel of tenderness and picking the best I had, I was kind of operating under the premise that I should really be turning them in because if I just turned in flat it wouldn't do as well. Everyone's feedback here has helped me realize that the best 6 pieces of a mediocre lot of BE's doesn't mean they are worthy of turning in, and I'm risking my score by doing so.

Yes. Maybe not two right next to each other, but there can be a difference between slice 1 and slice 7. Next time cut a slice from each end of the flat, and set that aside. After your box goes in and the flat slices have been sitting a while, try them and see if they are the same. Sometimes they will be, sometimes they aren't even close.

I appreciate hearing this. Truth is, I've cooked maybe 7 or 8 briskets ever (half of those in my last few comps). I like brisket, it just wasn't something that I used to get very excited about, so before jumping into competitions, I rarely made it. Now I'm trying to do them more and realizing that I have to put in a lot more practice to learn things like ya'll have been describing regarding tenderness of the slices and BE's. I wouldn't have thought slice 2 would be so different from slice 6. I was just slicing away at the flat until I found the spot that I thought was right on, and I assumed that the next 7 slices were going to be equally tender and that I really should be using all those slices back to back so that it would like nicer in the box (all slices would match in shape and size).

This has all been quite humbling to hear, but I appreciate it a TON. All the feedback everyone is sharing has really opened my eyes to what I need to look for as I keep on practicing.

You are off to one hell of a start this season for only being second year of KCBS. On top of the 'Sauced rankings in pork.... Id suggest you think about the things that have made your pork successful and translate that to your other categories.

Keep up the good work

What did you think of the slices? Did they pull apart effortlessly? was there tug to the stretch test? hard to judge based off pics alone, certainly look like some rendering went on

You are off to one hell of a start this season for only being second year of KCBS. On top of the 'Sauced rankings in pork.... Id suggest you think about the things that have made your pork successful and translate that to your other categories.

Keep up the good work

What did you think of the slices? Did they pull apart effortlessly? was there tug to the stretch test? hard to judge based off pics alone, certainly look like some rendering went on

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words. I've been quite happy with my pork finishes.

The slices pulled apart very easily and were probably right on the fringe of too tender - they didn't fall apart, but you can tell in the picture that I sliced them plenty thick and some of the back slices are "chipping" apart at the top where I sliced...very carefully with a good slicer.

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words. I've been quite happy with my pork finishes.

The slices pulled apart very easily and were probably right on the fringe of too tender - they didn't fall apart, but you can tell in the picture that I sliced them plenty thick and some of the back slices are "chipping" apart at the top where I sliced...very carefully with a good slicer.

I think you answered your own question. Sounds like you went a little over and some judges didn't ding you. Some judges either felt you were slightly over from the tug, the thickness which can be an indicator, feel when taking a bite, or a combo.

When it comes to putting burnt ends in the box. Here's something to think about. According to the judging instructions for brisket. There's no standard for tenderness on a burnt end. So if that's the rule. Then should a burnt end or anything else but a brisket slice be a legal entry

We committed to no burnt ends this year and the results speak for themselves
A 1st, 2nd, and a 4th in our first 5 contests, second in the Mid-Atlantic (MABA) Brisket standings. The two that didn't get calls were the equal of the others.
Too much opinion over what a good burnt end is. I had one judge, very experienced, tell me he hates burnt ends.

I’d agree with those that say tenderness can very a lot from one end of the flat to the other. We try to minimize that with trimming. We separate point/flat and try to have the flat as even as possible. We’ll also round the edges to minimize the “chipping” you spoke about.

As you look at the burnt ends in your picture, I see (what I assume) are the end pieces of your burnt ends. One would think the tenderness of the end pieces (your outside pieces) would be substantially different then the center pieces. I might be looking at that wrong too.

Attachments

• brisket4.jpg
    brisket4.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 83
I’d agree with those that say tenderness can very a lot from one end of the flat to the other. We try to minimize that with trimming. We separate point/flat and try to have the flat as even as possible. We’ll also round the edges to minimize the “chipping” you spoke about.

As you look at the burnt ends in your picture, I see (what I assume) are the end pieces of your burnt ends. One would think the tenderness of the end pieces (your outside pieces) would be substantially different then the center pieces. I might be looking at that wrong too.

Great advice on rounding the edges of the brisket to avoid that "corner" that can be susceptible to "chipping." Appreciate the tip!

I did squeeze each piece of burnt end to gauge the tenderness by feel before I selected it for the box, but I'm sure there was variation still.
Ever wish you could taste each piece and then just use those pieces in the box? Maybe hide the bite mark by facing it down into the greenery? LOL!

We committed to no burnt ends this year and the results speak for themselves
A 1st, 2nd, and a 4th in our first 5 contests, second in the Mid-Atlantic (MABA) Brisket standings. The two that didn't get calls were the equal of the others.
Too much opinion over what a good burnt end is. I had one judge, very experienced, tell me he hates burnt ends.

Very good intel. Thank you. So how are you cooking the brisket then? Are you buying just flats and cooking those, do you buy the whole packer and separate the point and flat before cooking, or are you cooking the whole packer and then separating it at the end of the cook?

How about other teams that usually just turn in sliced flat? I'd love to hear what all y'all are doing with regards to the question above!

I cook a whole packer and separate at the end of the cook. Brisket is my worst category however.

A friend of mine who has started to have some success with brisket lately only cooks flats. I think you can do it any which way you want as long as you cook it right

Back