Smoked Bone-in Pork Loin: Dry Brined (Pron)

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The brethren that attended the NorCal Bash had an opportunity to taste the pork loin that I dry brined and cooked onsite, but I didn't get a lot of pictures of it.
So today I cooked one that I started dry brining last night with Naturiffic Harvest Brine.

When we developed the Harvest Brine, it was with the thought of it being used on Turkey and that is the flavor profile we went for (Apple, Maple, Sage, Black Pepper).

We wanted it to be subtle flavors though, so that no matter what your typical Turkey seasoning was, this would complement those flavors.
Of course we hoped it would fare well on other poultry as well.

Turns out it works great on both Turkey & Chicken and the underlying flavors the brine adds, really only works to intensify the natural flavors of the meat it is used on.

One of our biggest surprises during early testing was how well this brine worked on Pork.
It works really, really well with Pork, especially Pork Loin, one of the easiest cuts of meat to overcook and dry out.

I started with a 4.2lb hunk of Bone-in Pork Loin

picture.php

Then I rubbed it well with the Harvest Brine. I used a little over 1.5 Tbs of brine.

picture.php

After the brine was applied, it was time to wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and then it went for an overnight nap in the fridge.

picture.php

We recommend brining for at least 2-3 hours per pound. In this case that works out to 8.5-12.5 hours.
However with dry brining, longer wont hurt anything (up to about 3 days), so this Pork sat from 8pm yesterday, until 2pm today, when i pulled it out to cook it. (about 18 hours)

This is what it looked like when I unwrapped it

picture.php

The only treatment this pork got besides the brine was a sprinkling of parsley when it was unwrapped.

picture.php

I put it in the stickburner with charcoal and oak at ~225-250F

After 2 hours it was at 108F

picture.php

picture.php

(note the color is not from any rub other than the brine and oak wood)

It finished at about ~3.25 hours (~145F)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sliced up

picture.php

picture.php

Served with Rice & Applesauce (this dinner focused on the meat!)

picture.php

This was a homerun!
Juicy & Flavorful!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
That looks awesone. I was going to ask the same thing as above on the brine.....1.5 tbs doesn't sound like very much brine for 4lbs meat and I want to do this so make sure I have it right.......

Perfect color. Nice cook. I'll try this when mine arrives.
1.5 tbs correct?

Yea right at 1.5 Tbs, maybe a little heavy handed on the 1.5 (this ain't baking, it don't have to be exact), but definitely not 2.

It works out (by weight) to 1 Tbs per 3 lbs, and this was a little over 4 lb roast.

��

Last edited:
Oh yeah...that was some good stuPh Brother!
Like the way it tasted like pork and not overwhelmed with other Phlavours.

I hit and and loved it! Got a tenderloin dry brining with this stuff right now. :hungry:

Back