Mesquite Lump Charcoal

Melrod59

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Has anyone tried and liked either Best of the West Mesquite Lump Charcoal or Frontier Mesquite Lump Charcoal? I have three butts and two slabs of babybacks on my 22.5 WSM. I'm using a mixture of RO lump and the two lump charcoals. Are they too strong?

Thanks,

Mel

I like the Best of the West. The first time I tried it though, it was like sparklers. I think there was a bad piece in there or something. I've never had that problem since though. The pieces are friggin HUGE, as in impressively MASSIVE! Their size can actually be a problem in some cases, so get something to chop them down with. The flavor is absolutely fantastic!:thumb:

I'm just about done with my first bag of Best of the West, and like Chris said some of the pieces are way to big. But over all im happy with the product. I agree that the flavor is great.

I have seen this at Sams I believe. So it does not produce overpowering mesquite flavoring like you can get by using too mesquite wood? That has been my main reservation from picking up one of those huge 40lb bags.

I have seen this at Sams I believe. So it does not produce overpowering mesquite flavoring like you can get by using too mesquite wood? That has been my main reservation from picking up one of those huge 40lb bags.
The flavor is mild because the wood has been burned down to charcoal. It's not like cooking with mesquite wood. Unless you only cook with preburned mesquite coals in which case it is similar. It's great for grilling too because some smokey flavor gets in your grilled food too. I've also cooked brisket using only this charcoal (no added wood), and it was top-notch!:thumb:

I just used Frontier for the first time. Started off crackling but settled down for a good 10-11 hour burn in 22.5 WSM. I liked the flavor it gave a rack of loin backs and a huge Butt. I'm going to try it a few more times.

I've used both and like them, I typically use Lazzari mesq lump cuz it's what I can get, seems to me that all 3 are pretty similar.

As for flavor, it will def have a stronger flavor than just RO lump, but it's no where near like using mesq wood chunks.

Like Bigs said, great for grilling, gives an awesome flavor to burgers, steaks, tritip etc...

I use a hammer to break up the large pieces and I smack it inside the bag so the bits dont fly everywhere.

I use Best of the West (easy to get at Smart & Final out here), it does crack and sparkle more than others, and sometimes has HUGE pieces, but I have not noticed it adding too much of a mesquite flavor. I do tend to use it mostly on my briskets, but the last Butt I did with it came out fine.

3 Bar-B-Chef offset smokers, Charmglow Gasser, Yellow Thermapen.

Good info, it is Best of the West Mesquite Lump in 40lb bags that they have at Sams for $14-15. I will definitely give it a go.

Back