Losing events left and right...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Today we lost the premier event in the Pacific Northwest...Tree Top's Skewered Apple! We have also lost several other popular events this year...sigh...:tsk: Have any of your local events gone by the wayside recently? Is this something common throughout the BBQ community?

We've been pretty stable in this area. We've even added some new events for this year.

Today we lost the premier event in the Pacific Northwest...Tree Top's Skewered Apple! We have also lost several other popular events this year...sigh...:tsk: Have any of your local events gone by the wayside recently? Is this something common throughout the BBQ community?

Losing Skewered Apple sucks from a BBQ team perspective but it is worse for the community of Selah. Every fall we brought thousands of dollars to a small community. Contests come and go and we are looking forward to cooking in some new places.

I started competition bbq in 2011, mostly because there were 5 contests within an hour of my location, now there is one. Every year I plan on doing 10-15 contests, but end up settling on 7 or 8 because established contests disappear. New ones do pop up, but for the last couple of years they haven't lasted. Once again this year I'm planning on doing 15+ contests, but there will be a few times I'll have to travel 5 or more hours to get to them. The thing that bothers me the most is that the contests that have disappeared for the most part have been good contests ran by great people or organizations, but have failed because it seems someone was greedy.

We've lost a few well established contests in the Southeast this year (Winder, GA and Greer, SC to name a couple), but there are several new ones popping up to replace them.

Organizing a BBQ contest is highly demanding. It's a real challenge to maintain the support of sponsors, volunteers and the community year after year, which is why most contests don't last more than a few years.

The thing the you have to remember is that at its core, a sanctioned BBQ contest is nothing more than a private party for cooks and judges. Organizers wrap a festival around this party in order to engage the public, but make no mistake, we need organizers much more than they need us.

If you are concerned about contests folding, ask yourself: What have I done to directly support these events? I'm not talking about simply putting in an app to attend the party as a CBJ or cook, but taking responsibility to be one of the folks who put on the party. If every cook would make the effort to help out by volunteering to setup, cleanup, solicit sponsors or even take the point as organizer for only one event each year the rate of contest cancellation would drop substantially.

Yes, I view myself first as a cook, but I also organize. Not because it is as much fun as cooking (it's not) or because it is less work (it's more), but because I feel like it is my obligation to give back to the community. Everybody loves to come to the party, but if everyone is a guest there is no one left to be the host.

Gowan nailed it. While I am a cook first, I am on the committee for my hometown contest. This will be it's 9th year. It has grown from 23 teams (4 amateurs) in 2007 to a double contest last hear. 40 teams in the first contest and 70 teams in the second contest. The amateur has grown to 40 teams and accepting applications ends by April 1st because of it selling out. The expenses of a contest are amazing. As easy as it sounds to say 100% of the entry fees should go to the prize fund. That is not possible without huge sponsors. Generators are over $8000, tents almost $3k, etc. These contests live because of sponsors and carnivals. The last few years, I see more and more sponsors dropping. I am sure it is multiple reasons, can't blame them.

So if you are looking for reasons, sponsorship is right at the top of the list. Second would be support of the teams. Third would probably be.lack of volunteers. We take one month off (June) after our memorial day contests. It is a year long planning. Folks don't want to commit to that as a volunteer. So you want to see the otherside, go volunteer for a local contest. No easier than the cooks side.

We are trying to give back this year and have met with a township who is interested in doing an event this year which we are putting on, its not a KCBS or sanctioned event as it came about late but the town is ready and willing to do a KCBS event provided they see a good turnout.

I think one of the things we need to do also is help those with the smaller event so they grow to these sanctioned events. Right now in NJ we have 4 sanctioned events a year one in July and the other 3 are back to back to back weekends in Sept. One of the things i would love to see is events in a common geographic location attempt to space out there events. Personally I would do all 4 but there is no way possible for us to do 3 weeks straight financially.

Here in mid Atlantic, they're dropping at an alarming rate.
I don't know about this - A quick look at the KCBS site shows:
Virginia 2014 contests - 11 2015 contests - 11 net change - 0
Maryland 2014 contests - 7 2015 contests - 7 net change - 0
Pennsylvania 2014 contests - 8 2015 contests - 7 net change - -1
Delaware 2014 contests - 1 2015 contests - 2 net change - +1
New Jersey 2014 contests - 4 2015 contests - 4 net change - 0
New York 2014 contests - 8 2015 contests - 9 net change - +1
North Carolina 2014 contests - 15 2015 contests -18 net change - +3
West VA 2014 contests - 0 2015 contests - 1 net change - +1

That's 59 contests in the Mid Atlantic in 2015

Remember it's only March so a number of events aren't on the calendar yet.

California is a such a large state a few VERY different situations are playing out here in Ca..let's start with the South..Southern Californa has over 100 teams that compete pretty regularly also it seems since we've been doing this its continued to grow and that has happened because of classes and promotion of backyard events where new teams get feedback and their feet wet..as far as contests go if one goes away another pops up in its place..it's happened every year since 2010 and again this year..sponsors,teams and the public infatuation with food has driven all of these competitions..packed venues,TONS of PC ticket sales and such..now for the North..once you get past Bakersfield(Bakersfield alone has 20-30 teams)the team numbers drop off and so does the promotion and classes and such..you also have a a guy that made up his own irrelevant scoring system..veteran clowns cooking backyard 3 meat events meant for amatures..contests going by the wayside because of constant complaining..all of this by a small handful of individuals who thought they were high and mighty when they were in charge here in Ca..I feel bad for the real true teams in NorCal that have to deal with all of this mess left behind by very selfish people..so in the end comp BBQ in SoCal is booming while north not so much

Last edited:
I don't know about this - A quick look at the KCBS site shows:
Virginia 2014 contests - 11 2015 contests - 11 net change - 0
Maryland 2014 contests - 7 2015 contests - 7 net change - 0
Pennsylvania 2014 contests - 8 2015 contests - 7 net change - -1
Delaware 2014 contests - 1 2015 contests - 2 net change - +1
New Jersey 2014 contests - 4 2015 contests - 4 net change - 0
New York 2014 contests - 8 2015 contests - 9 net change - +1
North Carolina 2014 contests - 15 2015 contests -18 net change - +3
West VA 2014 contests - 0 2015 contests - 1 net change - +1

That's 59 contests in the Mid Atlantic in 2015

Remember it's only March so a number of events aren't on the calendar yet.

I am pretty pleased with the Mid-Atlantic.

They are, for the most part, well organized, and very responsive.
Our schedule for the year is set, and the contests we have entered have confirmed our attendance.

There are a few more that we might squeeze in!

Mike, 2013-2014 seemed to have multiple contests drop out, no? It's nice to see last year to this year is steady. There're still plenty in our region thankfully that keep our schedule full enough. Thanks for the clarification.

Mike, 2013-2014 seemed to have multiple contests drop out, no? It's nice to see last year to this year is steady. There're still plenty in our region thankfully that keep our schedule full enough. Thanks for the clarification.
Yes, but contests come and go. Multiple 2013 contests did not re up for 2014 but like 2015 the new contests in 2014 were such that we had a net growth.

Long term contest are becoming fewer in my opinion. They are a lot of work for organizers who are usually interested in supporting a charity. The same money can be raised for the charity with a lot less work and money investment by doing something other than a contest

California is a such a large state a few VERY different situations are playing out here in Ca..let's start with the South..Southern Californa has over 100 teams that compete pretty regularly also it seems since we've been doing this its continued to grow and that has happened because of classes and promotion of backyard events where new teams get feedback and their feet wet..as far as contests go if one goes away another pops up in its place..it's happened every year since 2010 and again this year..sponsors,teams and the public infatuation with food has driven all of these competitions..packed venues,TONS of PC ticket sales and such..now for the North..once you get past Bakersfield(Bakersfield alone has 20-30 teams)the team numbers drop off and so does the promotion and classes and such..you also have a a guy that made up his own irrelevant scoring system..veteran clowns cooking backyard 3 meat events meant for amatures..contests going by the wayside because of constant complaining..all of this by a small handful of individuals who thought they were high and mighty when they were in charge here in Ca..I feel bad for the real true teams in NorCal that have to deal with all of this mess left behind by very selfish people..so in the end comp BBQ in SoCal is booming while north not so much

Well that's not what I wanted to hear! We recently moved back home to NorCal from NC where contests are plentiful.
Hopefully more interest will catch on up here soon and we will regain some events. My grandsons are just about ready to compete.

..now for the North..once you get past Bakersfield(Bakersfield alone has 20-30 teams)the team numbers drop off and so does the promotion and classes and such..you also have a a guy that made up his own irrelevant scoring system..veteran clowns cooking backyard 3 meat events meant for amatures..contests going by the wayside because of constant complaining..all of this by a small handful of individuals who thought they were high and mighty when they were in charge here in Ca..I feel bad for the real true teams in NorCal that have to deal with all of this mess left behind by very selfish people..

Lot's of misinformation in that post concerning NorCal.

1. Bakersfield is not in Northern California.

2. I can only assume the "irrelevant scoring system" is referring to CalBQue. It's only irrelevant to teams that don't care how they stack up against all the teams in the State - not just against fellow CBBQA members.

3. I assume the "veteran clowns cooking backyard 3 meat events meant for amatures" crack is about about the 4 contest 3-meat series that had pro and amateur divisions. Those contests averaged about 40 teams each, which is pretty good for NorCal. Just because they weren't sanctioned by national bodies or weren't Royal qualifiers doesn't mean they weren't contests that people wanted to do or that they didn't have just a great of a time as they would have competing at a 4 meat contest.

4. I know of no contests in NorCal that have gone by the wayside due to constant complaining.

5. The rest isn't really worth getting into other than to say the former CBBQA BOD made up of NorCal members being referred to have no influence on the number of events being held in NorCal.

Yeah, more local contests would be great, but the teams are doing just fine.

Lot's of misinformation in that post concerning NorCal.

1. Bakersfield is not in Northern California.

2. I can only assume the "irrelevant scoring system" is referring to CalBQue. It's only irrelevant to teams that don't care how they stack up against all the teams in the State - not just against fellow CBBQA members.

3. I assume the "veteran clowns cooking backyard 3 meat events meant for amatures" crack is about about the 4 contest 3-meat series that had pro and amateur divisions. Those contests averaged about 40 teams each, which is pretty good for NorCal. Just because they weren't sanctioned by national bodies or weren't Royal qualifiers doesn't mean they weren't contests that people wanted to do or that they didn't have just a great of a time as they would have competing at a 4 meat contest.

4. I know of no contests in NorCal that have gone by the wayside due to constant complaining.

5. The rest isn't really worth getting into other than to say the former CBBQA BOD made up of NorCal members being referred to have no influence on the number of events being held in NorCal.

Yeah, more local contests would be great, but the teams are doing just fine.
Yes your one of the veteran teams that stepped down to compete against a bunch of start up teams..Stop saying there were two divisions you know dam well those events are nothing but backyard events pumped up by clowns as yourself..and to top it off the organizer stiffed the winners!..real professional huh? Way to go on that one..Kevin keepin going so the rest of the BBQ community can see how much you cry..your part of the problem you sit and lurk on BBQ forums looking to stir things up..how about taking some action and maybe giving back..put on a class...something instead of constantly complaining..or how about a solution to the problem???..keep pretending things are rosy up there too.. I know and have seen the comps dwindle away up there..Morgan Hill ring a bell?..used to be the biggest in the state what happened?..how about Lakeport this year I bet it's done..comps are booming down south so tell me how are you going to help bring the north in line with the south?..you did rejoin CBBQA afterall unless you just rejoined to cry..Hahahahaha

Last edited:
Back