For those of you with enclosed trailers

Wicked Smoke BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What are you using to cover up the rear opening when the ramp is down? I was thinking about ordering those plastic strips that you see in warehouses, but I'm thinking there are some better options out there.

Moving blanket hung from the ramp raising rod. I was sure that Burnt at Both Endz would replace it, but it was still in use when I toured my old trailer last year!

I got a set of clear swinging doors at an auction, but I haven't put them in yet. I need to build a partial wall and figure out a way to mount them. These are the walk through doors that a grocery meat dept. would have on the cooler. Should be easier to walk through with a pan than the strips or a conventional door.

I have also seen teams using the plastic strip doors like you see on a shipping dock.

cb45a4526134b77389ed740d2a0698a7.jpg

Moving blanket hung from the ramp raising rod. I was sure that Burnt at Both Endz would replace it, but it was still in use when I toured my old trailer last year!

Yep, we are still using it. I have been thinking about replacing it with an insulated concrete curing blanket/tarp. They will come in different R-values and even get them with your logo printed on it.

We use the plastic strip door on our side door, not the rear. I like it a lot.

Our toy hauler came with one of these. It works well except in extreme cold of extreme heat.

What do you consider extreme cold or heat?

In our case, we cooked in 35ish degree weather this weekend with a tiny little $18 ceramic heater, and it was nice and toasty in the trailer. We generally cook in 80-90 degree weather with no major problems. One contest this year we cooked it was 106 outside so we kept the ramp up. It was still 90 degrees inside the trailer.

I used four 24" sliding closet doors on a track. Had to cut them down to the proper height. Works great!

In our case, we cooked in 35ish degree weather this weekend with a tiny little $18 ceramic heater, and it was nice and toasty in the trailer. We generally cook in 80-90 degree weather with no major problems. One contest this year we cooked it was 106 outside so we kept the ramp up. It was still 90 degrees inside the trailer.

How does that work when it gets windy?

It works well. We try to set up to block the wind with the trailer, if possible. We can keep the door open in heat or cold and not lose the ac or heat inside the trailer. The biggest hassle is carrying a load of hot meat on hot grate to the inside. Takes a little getting used to but I wouldn't be without the strip door and it is still easier than trying to open the door with a load of bbq.

Back