What's the earliest you will inject and rub???

Atlasman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have always leaned towards injecting and rubbing butts and brisket later at night.........but I see many teams prepping their meats in this manner right after setup and inspection or just before or after cooks meeting.

The possibility of deeper flavor is intriguing but the negative of sodium drawing too much moisture from the meat is a concern.

Basically I just want to make my contest life easier LOL and rubbing and injecting mid day would do so..........any downside??

We start most of the trimming and injecting about 2pm on friday. Rub gets applied around 6 or 7pm depending on how much visiting we are doing.

We inject in the early afternoon on Friday and then apply rubs about 1.5-2 hours before meats go on the smoker.

My timeline I rub and inject at 9:30PM. I did this for 2 reasons. 1. it seems to be a good amount of time in my recipes 2. I always have a great excuse to get away from "just one more" adult beverage, even if I am the one that wants one more lol.

I inject when I can seems to be around 2 pm on Friday or sometimes around 5pm depends when I get there. I usually put rub on before it gets dark

I inject right after meat inspection. Rub is applied about 2 hours before i put on the pit.

My question ties in with this thread. After injecting, especially if your doing it around 3 PM on Friday, do you put it back on ice or just throw it in the cambro?

My question ties in with this thread. After injecting, especially if your doing it around 3 PM on Friday, do you put it back on ice or just throw it in the cambro?

Both, we inject right after meat inspection then put into cambro. We buy those little blue ice pack things, that can be re frozen, in the camping section at Walmart I think for 99 cents. 4 of those fills bottom of cambro and keeps things plenty cool until next morning.

We season everything right after we inject.

I usually inject 6-8 hours before cooking and add some rub at that time. I've been experimenting with injecting earlier and seem to like it though....Remainder of rub(s) goes on right before they hit the pit.

I cook hot and fast, so big meats go on about 3am. I usually inject between 5-6pm, and rub between 7-8pm. I cook in foil pans, so foil pans go into the steel hotel pans, which go into the cambros, with the cam chiller plates that have until that point have been in the bottom of the ice chest. Or frozen cold packs (re-usable ice) on a flat hotel size pan, or ice in a 1/4 deep hotel pan placed on the uppermost rung.

Back