Question on pork timing

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
If this belongs in que talk, please move.

I have a couple of questions concerning the timing of cooking my pork at comps. I have been putting my butts (right at 8 lbs on avg) on 13 hours before turn in. I have been pulling foiling the meat when it hits 160 and cooler it when it hits 195. I typically end up pulling it of the cooker 3-4 hours before turn-in. I have thought about starting a little later but have had one stay on the cooker until 45 minutes before turn in, had very little time to rest before pulling. I have had a problem with the meat ending up over done and have been wondering about a few things.
1- DO most of you go by temp or feel to determine when the meat is done? I have started going by feel alone when cooking at home but not to very reliable results yet.
2-If you do go by temp, what temp do you cooler at? and, does approximate time in cooler before pulling effect this temp?
3- how long do most of you give pork to cook at a comp? Cooking at 230, i have been giving myself an hour 40 minutes per pound. I hate having all the extra time after cooking, just don't want to have one not done in time for turn-in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very happy with the taste and appearance of my pork and have scored well in those areas, but have not had luck in the tenderness/texture department.

You can always adjust the temp at which you foil. As soon as you foil you are going to speed up the cooking process. If you feel the 160 degree temp came too early then I would foil at 170. This will make your cook much longer.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Nate

You can always adjust the temp at which you foil. As soon as you foil you are going to speed up the cooking process. If you feel the 160 degree temp came too early then I would foil at 170. This will make your cook much longer.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Nate

Would not foiling cause it to be a little drier when it does get done?

Would not foiling cause it to be a little drier when it does get done?

I don't foil till it goes in the cambro.

Last weekend I had a couple smaller butts.
Put them on at 1:00am
Cooked one till 190 and one till 197 based on feel.
Foiled them at different times and put in cambro for at least a 1.5-2 hours.

I placed 6th with this method at Columbia last week.

When you pull them off the smoker open the foil up and let cool for 20-30 minutes. then wrap back up and put them in the cooler. If you just take them off and put them in the cooler the will continue to cook for quite a while.

I almost never foil and it still turns out moist.

The only foiling I really do is when it goes in the cooler.

I cook at 250 or so and allow about an hour & 15 per pound. I like to have about 2 hours of rest time, but more doesn't concern me much. I use both temp and feel to be the guide. At a temp of 190 or so I start checking the feel of them and go from there.........also how long until turn in factor in my decision as well.

I use foil also, but I don't have a set time or temp to foil. I foil them when the color looks about like I want, which seems to correspond to around 170 degrees most of the time.

Good luck,

Like FBJ I foil when it looks like I want it to look and then probe until approximately 165-170 then I place in a cheap Freeze and Heat bag found in local markets these truly keep my product at good temp for up to 3 hours.
I also often find my pork completed hours prior to turn in, and would rather that than not enuf rest time.

Placed 4th in last comp. and 9th time before that so I am fairly comfortable.

I foil when it has the color I like or when I am tired of waiting. The foil definitely speeds up the cooking time. It also hold in moisture and allows the butt to baste in it's own juices.

At New Holland we foilied at 160-165 and pulled it off the smoker and put it in the cooler at 185. It sat in the cooler for 6hours. It was tender and we got 4th at that comp. I was shocked I figured it would be cold and over cooked, it was tender, pulled great and still pipping hot.

I also like to cook 8# butts. I think that if you wait to Cambro at 195 you are waiting too late. Cambro will continue to cook and push you to 200+. Not the best temps for the Money muscle. I go by internal temps. I also allow 2 hours to set up the bark ( Out of the Cambro and back on the smoker ). Bottom line is Butts will stick on you or cook fast. You just have to make a decision on how you respond. My 10# butts that I cooked at the Royal stuck for 2 1/2 hours at 167. They would not move and I had to put the heat to them to get them going again . You can't really say how long it will take to cook a butt because the butt might have a mind of it's own.

Just my .02

Spice

I was gonna say just what Jay said... except I can't afford a cambro so I cooler. :wink: Lots of good advice for you in this thread, Eagle.

I could quote something out of each response above that is useful.....no one has led you astray......but only you know what your cooker can do, or how it reacts.......that's the only thing that wasn't covered above.....
take some of the advise above and practice with your cooking style.......

After placing 440th. at the Royal, I can damn sure tell you what NOT to do with your pork!

After placing 440th. at the Royal, I can damn sure tell you what NOT to do with your pork!

Well.........I can honestly say that I have probably learned more from being told what not to do than I have from being told what to do.

Not trying to rub salt in the wounds, but anything you want to share?

I cook at 200 for 10 hours. Internal temp is usually 150. I wrap and crank to 250. I pull when internal temp is at least 195. They go straight to the cambro with no pre-cambro venting. They rest for at least three hours. I cook 9-11# butts.

As you can see, there is no one way to cook butts and be successful. A lot of it depends on how you are presenting it. I slice butts that were cooked to 195. For my process, presentation, and objective... that works out great. I know for Jeff, it wouldn't. Our boxes look totally different.

I think that if you wait to Cambro at 195 you are waiting too late. Cambro will continue to cook and push you to 200+. Not the best temps for the Money muscle. I go by internal temps.

All of my butts go 195-205 (before Cambro)... and I slice money muscles. :wink: However, I have been trained in the fine art of butt slicery.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have never thought about using a cambro. I have access to one i could use but have always just used a cooler. Is there a difference in performance?

Another question on temps. Would the part of the butt you use effect the temp it is cooked to? I like the money muscle and that little hunk of goodness in the blade. If i pulled off heat when this was done, could i pull/slice this and finish cooking the rest at a later time for home consumption? just a thought.

If you have something that works & is pretty consistant, than Sunday morning at the American Royal may not be the best time to say "Hey, let try something totally different. What have we got to lose?"

If you have something that works & is pretty consistant, than Sunday morning at the American Royal may not be the best time to say "Hey, let try something totally different. What have we got to lose?"

LOL Pretty solid advice.

Back