• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

? for TX Judges

gotribe28

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am cooking ribs for our team in a couple of weeks and I prefer a light sauce on my ribs. Is there a standard as far as to sauce or not to sauce?

Thank you

Not sure if you're talking about the TAFR Wild Game Cookoff (that's this coming weekend, about 170 teams this year), if so, lemme know!

As far as Ribs, it's more of an IBCA thing, but generally, no, nobody sauces their ribs. A glaze is fine, but not the type of sauce you'd generally see in KCBS.

Depending on the judges, they can be pretty picky. The rules state that after the meat is removed from the pit, you're not allowed to do anything to it. No saucing, no dipping, no sprinkling of extra rub, nothing.

FWIW, nobody told me this either, and I was saucing my ribs for about a year and a half! :p

Light glaze works well, but I would stay away from a heavy saucing. As far as flavor profile (although I hate that term), stay the middle of the road, not too sweet, too salty or too spicy. Just a well cooked, tender rib. Good luck yo you!

In Tx/IBCA I've seen all sorts of ribs from very little glaze to heavy glaze. Some of the best teams glaze 'em KCBS style. Bruno said it right though, shoot for middle of the road.

As far as IBCA rules, you can do whatever you want before you put them in the box, just don't let juice/sauce pool in the foil. You can't block the edges though on brisket.. not yet anyway.

No its for Chappel Hill VFW CookOff its a CTBA competition, I do a very light glaze just a hint of tang to go on the sweet profile that I rub with...

A light glaze will suit you well. In Texas you almost have to over cook your ribs and brisket since most sanctioning bodies don't allow the judges to touch the meat except with a plastic fork and knife.

I was down in Texas a few weeks ago & had a chance to judge one comp and cook in one. I was surprised on the number of turn in boxes with the clear glaze. Taste like everyone was using Agave Nectar for the glaze but whatever is being used was light and did not seem to have much flavor just made it shinny. The more I think about it what is the most common glaze being used in IBCA.

Not sure how CTBA is judged, but in IBCA they don't use their hands to sample meats, they use plastic knives and forks. We tend to overcook our ribs a little bit. If they can't get it off the bone very easily with the utensils, then they are considered "tough".
Most teams I know are using Rib Candy, by TPJ, as a glaze. At least here in East Texas.

Back