2nd try at baby backs Judges question

big blue bbq

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I cooked baby backs for the second time ever today. I tried something different when saucing today. Would you take off on appearance for grill marks if they are uniform thru the ribs?

I turned them over on the smoker to sauce the bottoms. Tried to brush them out the best I could.
I don't know why they would be marked off and I probably would not mark off for it if they were uniform while I am judging. Just wondering what the consensus would be here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 187
If one smokes meat on hot metal wires it will leave marks. There is no rule about only cooking ribs bone side down so.... I would judge as presented.
Ed

I wouldn't count off for grill marks but that looks like a lot of sauce. Might just be the pic.

I would agree; although, I don't really see any grill marks in that picture. The sauce does appear to be a bit heavy. Either go a little lighter or heat it up a bit before applying to change the viscosity of the sauce.

Appearance is always good if the ribs jump up and say "eat me"! Thus, nicely formed and placed grill marks will be fine, although they aren't common. I agree with some of the other posters that the sauce looks heavy.

In my experience, BB's are less common in competition than well-trimmed spares. Spares are easier to get even in appearance.

Hub

Back