Post your favorite Hatch Chile Recipes here

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I picked up another half case of mild yesterday, and am looking for some recipes...what are some of your favorites?

I heard mention of a hatch chile mac & cheese, that sounds awesome.

28539830074_17546e65fd_b.jpg

New Mexico Green Chile Stew

1 pork shoulder (Boston Butt is excellent)
1 32 oz container of chicken stock
1 can of rotel (I used the basic can. They have a mild can and a hot can...you choose)
1 tsp white pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
a couple of shakes of oregano
3-6 cloves of garlic(depending on size of clove - I used 3 large cloves), pressed
3-4 potatoes, peeled and diced

3-4 Tbsp of flour (corn masa is preferred, but white flour is fine); I put it in a bowl and add water, stirring to make a paste before I add it, otherwise it will just turn to lumps. This is to thicken it up a little. You may need more or none at all, depending on your taste

2 cups of chopped hatch green chile

-----------
Smoke and pull the boston butt

Add all other ingredients to a stew pot over medium heat.
Add the pork.
Simmer on low for an hour or two.

This would work with a chuckie or brisket, if you are so inclined.

If you don't want to smoke it, cube the pork and brown it first, then add all ingredients and let simmer until pork is tender.

Here's a chile verde recipe my wife concocted. In hatch season, you can substitute more hatch/anaheim chiles for the poblanos. It's pretty darn tasty:

[FONT=&quot]The Missus’ Chile Verde[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 Pounds of pork stew meat or pork shoulder roast[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ cup vegetable oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 Poblano chiles[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 Anaheim chiles[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Jalapenos[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5-20 Chile de Arbol, stems removed (Use less if you want your chile verde mild, use more if you like it hot)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 medium onion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 cloves garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 Tomatillos[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Tbsp. coriander[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp. cumin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp. chili powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp. oregano[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 bay leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salt and pepper to taste[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 bottle or can of beer of choice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup chicken broth[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Tbsp flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup cold water[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Preheat oven to 375°. Cut pork into small bite sized pieces and brown in a skillet with vegetable oil in 2 separate batches. Place cooked meat into a dutch oven. Grill the anaheims, poblanos, and jalapenos until skin is black. Also grill onion and tomatillos until slightly soft and browned. Place chilies in a brown paper bag to soften for about 20 mins.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Remove skin and seeds from the blackened chilies and place in a blender with onion, garlic, tomatillos, chili de arbol and chicken broth. DO NOT WASH THE CHILES. Blend until smooth and add to meat in the dutch oven. Add the coriander, cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt and pepper. Pour beer into mixture and stir until combined.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Place covered dutch oven in preheated oven and cook for approximately 2 hours or until pork is fork tender. Combine flour and cold water into a slurry and pour into chile verde mixture. Cook an additional 30 minutes with dutch oven cover removed stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and serve with tortillas, cheese and sprinkle of cilantro. Can also be used in burritos or enchiladas. Enjoy![/FONT]

Wifeys family has deep roots in NM. They introduced me to a tradition of slow cooked pinto beans (don't forget the ham hock) with tortillas and green chile stew. In our house we simplified to just a green chile salsa because of ease in prep.

Chopped roasted green chiles
Chopped green onions
Chopped whole tomatoes
S&P

Scoop some beans, green chile salsa into a hot tortilla tear away and you have and awesome meal there.

Chile Rellenos - One of my favorites

Cut a slice from the stem to about half way down each roasted pepper - remove seeds

Stuff pepper with cheddar cheese.

Roll peppers in flour (you can use a tooth pick to hold the pepper together; I usually don't)

Put peppers in freezer while you prep the batter (this stiffens them up a bit and makes them easier to handle. You don't want them frozen solid, though).

Separate 6-8 eggs. Whip the egg whites until they develop stiff peaks. Fold the whisked yolks back in. Whisk in a pinch of salt.

Preheat CI skillet filled with 2-3 inches of peanut or canola oil to 375-400 degrees.

Coat the peppers in the yolk batter and gently place in oil. If the pepper isn't completely covered, spoon some oil over the top. Turn the pepper as needed until the relleno has browned a bit.

Remove, drain on paper towel, serve covered in green chile enchilada sauce.

Thanks for this post and contributions....I just ordered 20 lbs of Hatch Chiles and I need to get some ideas!

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this post. Just got done roasting (grilling) 50 LBS of Hatch Chiles

MSD makes awesome salsa and some will go thee but UI want Ideas. Already had burgers topped with hatch chiles and pepper jack cheese.

Roast about 10 of them, peel them, remove seeds, put whole chilies in a bowl, sprinkle generously with kosher salt and squeeze a couple/4 limes over them. Eat them with your fingers while drinking beers and telling lies.

Pro tip:Wash hands before and after going to the bathroom.

Those seeds will pay you back handsomely....:wink:

Yeah, those were the extra hot Chili's too!

It's really hard to beat green chili, sausage and cheese omelets too.

I found this hatch Green Chile Colorado recipe, looks pretty tasty.

Green-Chile-Meal.jpg

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon bacon drippings
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 pounds pork loin roast
1 onion chopped
5 garlic cloves peeled and minced
1 quart chicken broth
1 tablespoon salt
1½ tablespoons coriander
1 teaspoon hot Chamayo Chili Powder
1 teaspoon of your favorite chili powder
1½ tablespoons Mexican Oregano
14.5 ounces can chopped tomato, undrained
15 chile peppers chopped
1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
juice of ½ lime
½ cup water
¼ cup cornstarch

INSTRUCTIONS
Simply season the pork roast with salt and pepper. Place in a large Dutch oven, cover and roast in a 350 degree oven until done. About 3 hours. Remove the roast from the pan and let cool and then shred the meat with two forks. Set aside.
Heat the oil and the bacon drippings in the same Dutch oven. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 10 minutes . Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add the shredded meat, tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, coriander, oregano, tomatoes, chile powders and chiles. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 2 hours..
In a bowl combine water and cornstarch and stir until combined. Towards the end, I like to add a little of this to thicken the soup.
Serve with warm flour tortillas.

If you're a pizza guy and you make your own, green chile makes a great topping - I like mine with pepperoni, bacon and chile.

That does it. I'm picking some up this weekend. I haven't had hatch chlies but they certainly look/sound like something I'd enjoy and these recipes look incredible.

Just ran across this on from a link (no pun intended) on Daniel Vaughn's twitter feed - hatch chile and cheese sausage:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJiSX74AA_W/

Back