• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Going To See What All The Hype Is About With Oakridge Rubs

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I hear everyone talking about Oakridge rubs all the time and the great reviews and thought I would try it . checked out their website and did not know he just lives 10 minutes from my house so it was real easy to get local here . I will be trying out the Black OPS Rub on some short spare ribs tomorrow and also bought the Dominator Sweet Rub to try next weekend . I have never bought a store brand rub for beef and always made mine with Kosher Salt , Coarse Pepper and Seasoning Salt , what should I expect out the Oakridge ?

Last edited:
I hear everyone talking about Oakridge rubs all the time and the great reviews and thought I would try it . checked out their website and did not know he just lives 10 minutes from my house so it was real easy to get local here . I will be trying out the Black OPS Rub on some short spare ribs tomorrow and also bought the Dominator Sweet Rub to try next weekend . I have never bought a store brand rub for beef and always made mine with Kosher Salt , Coarse Pepper and Seasoning Salt , what should I expect out the Oakridge ?
Lucky you, being nearby. I mail-ordered their 5 bag sample kit, then cut up some shoulder into 1" cubes and put each of the ribs on two or three cubes and smoked them. I used colored toothpicks to identify which was which. My wife and I then tried all of them blind and made a list of favorites. Here are our notes, rubs in ranked/favorite order:

Dominator Sweet Rib Rub Sweet, more complex flavor. I suspected this was the one with the cinnamon, wife got it right away.

Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub Sweet; wife said "more barbeque-y"

Game Bird & Chicken Rub Pleasant sweet.

Competition Beef & Pork Rub Not as much flavor as the the others. More herb-y to me. wife got sweet and hot. (From the photos of the cook, the rub might have been a little less generously applied on these samples.)

Santa Maria Steak Seasoning salt & herb, wife got a little heat. Really not intended for pork.

On another day our ranking might be different, of course. I did buy bigger quantities of the Dominator and the Secret Weapon for further testing.

Lucky you, being nearby. I mail-ordered their 5 bag sample kit, then cut up some shoulder into 1" cubes and put each of the ribs on two or three cubes and smoked them. I used colored toothpicks to identify which was which. My wife and I then tried all of them blind and made a list of favorites. Here are our notes, rubs in ranked/favorite order:

Dominator Sweet Rib Rub Sweet, more complex flavor. I suspected this was the one with the cinnamon, wife got it right away.

Competition Beef & Pork Rub Not as much flavor as the the others. More herb-y to me. wife got sweet and hot. (From the photos of the cook, the rub might have been a little less generously applied on these samples.)

Santa Maria Steak Seasoning salt & herb, wife got a little heat. Really not intended for pork.

On another day our ranking might be different, of course. I did buy bigger quantities of the Dominator and the Secret Weapon for further testing.

Thanks and very nice review . :becky:

You'll love them... You can always pass the Slap Yo Daddy to someone else......

I got them vacuum packed in 12 ounce section because I buy in bulk and that is a great idea but I just need to make sure I like the Oakridge first .

My wife and I did the exact same. Except we didn't sample the Santa Maria on the pork.

Although we did not like the Dominator rub, too much cinnamon

Black ops is great on brisket

I honestly haven't had a rub from Oakridge that I didn't like.

Lately, I've even used a combo of Santa Maria and HDD on some wings with great results.

Santa Maria + Carne Crosta makes a really nice steak just that much better.

You're not going to go wrong with Oakridge.

I've liked each of the rubs I have tried. Particularly like the dominator rub on ribs and pork plus the black ops on brisket. They all have very even grain size and cover well. Enjoy!

I am used to getting great bark with my own rub and hope to have the same results with the Black OPS just want a different profile sometimes .

Going to have to order some up and try it..

Anyone have a link / links for the best deals on the stuff for shipping to GA?

Back