• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Do Your Cookers Wear Protection??

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
As I sit here listening to an army of three wrestle an AC coil from the attic, my mind began to wonder. Do y'all's cookers wear protection. Lots of little things can cause big problems. The only time I've ever seen a mouse it was under cover. My PBC gets covered at times but usually spends the night unprotected.
So as usual my mind turned to Google, then Amazon. Check the size, prices and reviews.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HCR89W/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_38?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1[/ame]

My 1979 kettle has never seen a cover. The 1993, either. Porcelain coatings rule!!!
Original grates still holding strong, spoiling them seems to only weaken them, based on my reading here.

My Hasty Bakes and Kettle stay covered most of the time. The Bandera and Ranch Kettle do not have covers, but are kept under a covered patio with the rest of them. The elements seem to mess with the Bandera the worst, but a good hot fire and some oil get it back where it needs to be quickly.

I've never once suffered a mold issue as my rotation all get used- frequently. But it seems the trapping of moisture-insects and rodents along with solar heating temps without airflow may be worse than occasional bird poop. But I'm drinking coffee and pondering. It is serious question asked ambiguously :)

I've never once suffered a mold issue as my rotation all get used- frequently. But it seems the trapping of moisture-insects and rodents along with solar heating temps without airflow may be worse than occasional bird poop. But I'm drinking coffee and pondering. It is serious question asked ambiguously :)

Dogs, raccoons, and coyotes have done more damage to my kettles than the weather. I believe direct solar heating has only benefited my kettles, keeping things dry. Of course, I'm talking about Webers...

I used to own a COS that I bought from Lowe's years ago. It was one of those combined gas burner/offset smoker rigs.

I was out in the middle of the night and I was smoking on the offset when I heard a stirring on the propane side. I thought it was just the wind moving a foil pan that I had in there...next thing I know, I see a mouse darting out of the exhaust stack! Ever since, I've covered everything I've owned. It's not that a cover guarantees anything (they can still get in there), it's probably just easier to sell to myself that it lowers the chances!

My smoker is under a patio so is protected 90% of the time from the elements except when the rain is wind driven (rare in my neck of the woods) otherwise the unit is completely sealed up so no ingress for insects etc. I open the CC and FB often enough that moisture/condensation has not been a problem. I am 99.9999% positive if I put a cover over it I will have an issue with bugs, wasp, bees, lizards etc.

Nope, other then throw a piece of cdx ply over the griddle in the winter. Will build a roof over the LSG this summer, though it's the very last item on the "Things that must be done before winter" list.

-D

Blackstone gets a cheap grill cover from walmart, Bubba Grill gets a heavy duty tarp. Drums, akorn, and outdoor gourmet performer knock off stay under the carport.

I got o e of these for my stainless gasser

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S0NYTCY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Back