• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lump vs. Briquettes

Paulmark

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've never used lump charcoal and I'm thinking about using it instead of briquettes...it's Lazzari Lump @17.00 for 44 lbs. Any insights, I hear it burns hotter. I'll be doing pork butts low and slow on a WSM, tri tips on a Santa Marie type set up and 500 oysters on horizontally drums.

Shake and pack it tight in the wsm charcoal ring, and I'd use water in the pan for a low and slow. Light the top with a torch if you have one, and if not, dump just a little on top, not a half chimney's worth. I've never used that lump, though.

I use lump from time to time for hot cooking such as searing steaks. But, with the deals I have gotten on Kingsford lately, I have stuck to it and a little hickory for smoke. Everything always turns out good.

I use only lump, even in the WSM's. I like it better. For the WSM's, it's not so much about whether or not it burns hotter, but catching the temps on the way up and adjusting the intakes to settle in at your desired temps. After a few runs this way you'll probably wonder why you ever used briqs. Be careful about adding too much smoking wood though, lump gives off a bit more smoke flavor than briqs, but you'll probably be fine unless you are real keen on lightly smoked food.

I'm a newbie to real BBQ and only have a few smoke cooks under my belt so take my advice as it is.

I started off using Cowboy Lump in my UDS because from what I read that lump would be the way to go and Cowboy Lump was the only lump that I could find locally.

My last three cooks I used Kingsford Competition briquettes and found that I could regulate the temps much better and I liked the flavor better.

I will use Lump charcoal again and the Kingsfords Comp briqs until I figure out what I like. Right now I lean towards the Kingsfords.

Personally, I've used lump in the WSM and don't like it. Competition Kingsford, Stubbs or any other natural briquette is far better, imho. The WSM is all about consistency, to my I don't get that out of lump.

Well carp!!! I guess I'm just going to have give lump a try, and take my lumps :redface: if it doesn't work for me...thanks all for the feedback.:-D

Personally, I've used lump in the WSM and don't like it. Competition Kingsford, Stubbs or any other natural briquette is far better, imho. The WSM is all about consistency, to my I don't get that out of lump.

That is very interesting to me because I have never used briqs, only lump and I have never had a problem with consistency. I LOVE lump although it does require more thought as to how much to start since you cant count a certain number of briqs. I just use the chimney as a tool to measure out how much to start.

Why choose? Use Wicked Good briquettes. It's lump ground into briquettes, without all the chemicals of that "other stuff" in the blue bags. Lump burns hotter than the blue bag briquettes because all those chemicals and binders aren't fuel. Wicked Good briquettes burn hotter than lump (increased density, probably, and minimal binder).

I find the longest burns on my offset is mixing lump and briquettes together.

Check out www.nakedwhiz.com for everything you could possibly want to know about charcoal. (I have no idea why a site dedicated to charcoal is called nakedwhiz :confused:)

All I use for grilling and smoking in the drum is lazzari. I like the flavor and rarely have temp problems. Also it's $14 for 40# so the price is right.

Back