Does this sound right? # feet of 20"-24" racks needed for a cook

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just trying to work out some rack spacing so I can get enough smokers from among friends to get together for a cook...(180 people, 2 servings of meat each)...

NOTE: This is a question more about the rack space as the customer will determine the # servings required and # per person.

Three meats and serving sizes of cooked meat (sides are also available to 'customers'):
  • pulled pork - 4oz
  • pork spare ribs - 2 ribs
  • brisket - 4oz
If I needed 120 servings of each then I would need (50% shrinkage):
  • pulled pork - 120 x 2 x 4 = 60lbs raw
  • pork spare ribs - 2 x 6 x 10 = 20 racks (12 ribs/rack)
  • brisket - 120 x 2 x 4 = 60lbs raw
Now rack space required:
  • pulled pork: full shoulder = (say) 15lbs = 4 shoulders @ say full rack deep and 12" across = 4' rack
  • spares = 20 racks, @ say full rack deep and 8" across (top/tail them) = 13' rack
  • brisket: full packers (v. exp. here!) = say 15lbs = 4 packers @ say full rack deep and 12" across = 4' rack
So, I make it 21 ft rack required for this cook. Does this sound right to you guys? I understand I could do it in several cooks with fewer smokers, hot/cold holding, H&F for the ribs etc, just trying to get the starting point for deliberations.

TIA.

Last edited:
I would do the brisket and butts together and then put the ribs on while you hold the other two in a cooler or hot box. They will stay hot while the ribs cook. Spacing like that might be tight. I have a 28"x60" rack that I put 10 full packers on. They were really packed together.

Back