THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cpsox

Found some matches.
New poster here - I have tried to search for an answer, but no luck. Apologies if this has been covered before.

I have a CyberQ w/ fan setup. The readings today for pit and meat temps started normally, but a few hours into a smoke they started going haywire. They'll fluctuate 5 degrees +/- the real temperature within seconds. This has happened to me before, so I upgraded to the latest firmware (1.7 I believe) but is now happening again.

I'm in Chicago, so it is near freezing right now - wonder if it is making the unit a bit crazy? Any ideas? Thanks!

Check to see if the connections to the CyberQ Wifi end of each probe is screwed in tight. You know, that black part that connects to the CyberQ Wifi. Mine sometimes comes loose.

Also, check if the plug connections are tight into the CyberQ Wifi. If they are tight, reboot and unplug the temperature probe for the food. Does the pit temperature still fluctuate? Maybe alternate, and put the food probe back in? Could be a bad probe and that could affect both probes not reading properly. But, which probe is it? That's why your unplugging each and testing Try a food spare, since you probably have those.

I do see an issue with the CyberQ in cold temperature. But, it holds the temperature properly. The issue is usually a sluggish display, but you should be inside monitoring and not see that part of it.

Rebooted with all plugs removed - same thing after I plugged them back in. It seems to average out to the temp I want, but it drives me nuts watching it bounce around.

I think you have one bad probe. That's what happens. Start swapping and observing. Find the culprit.

Are you running off batteries or a power supply?

Alkaline and Lithium batteries will batteries will drop to low voltages in near freezing weather, causing errors and false readings.

If you are using the power supply, try to keep the circuitry mildly warm.

Other than that then I have no answer for you....

Power supply - I am hoping this is just a weather related coincidence. The other time it happened, it was cold too.

I've had it happen on my cyber q2. Where the temps "flutter" within seconds up and down. It was a bad probe for me that threw off the other probes. Though you might want to give their customer service a call.

I was having this problem during cold weather and I'm in Naperville IL. What I did was put the guru in a cooler with a heating pad and wrapped in towels. That help keet the unit stable. Also I have had a bad pit probe and it also caused the same problems with fluctuating temps. Maybe try the cooler with a heating pad first.

Thanks for the comments guys - I'll be going all "6th grade science fair project" on it this afternoon. I would be all about having just a bad probe or needing to put it in a cooler.

Back