Lump Charcoal Question

Prestige World Wide

Reaction score
I want to try smoking with lump charcoal. I don't want to put too much strong smoke flavor into something like chicken or turkey.

Is there a noticeable difference between using a lump that says a specific type of wood like hickory or mesquite vs a lump that says just hardwood?

Do you still need to use wood chunks when using a hickory or mesquite lump?

Thanks!

A lot of the compounds that create flavor in smoke get cooked out of the wood in the process of turning it into charcoal. You'll get some flavor out of the lump, but I still add a smoke wood too.

Birch is my go to on poultry.

I don't think there's much difference between mesquite or oak or South American hardwood or whatever charcoals. Once they're going they burn very clean and pretty much smell the same.

I always use wood chunks with lump charcoal but I like that good smoky flavor.

Plain lump definitely adds some charcoal flavor but it won't taste smoked unless you add smoking wood.

Basically charcoal is produced by heating a carbon-rich material such as wood in a low-oxygen atmosphere. This process drives off the moisture, impurities, and volatile gases that were present in the original wood. The resulting charred material not only burns longer and more steadily than whole wood.

It is just wood that has been turned into charcoal using heat without combustion. Lump charcoal contains more carbon and less impurities. Lump charcoal will burn at a higher temperature and will leave less ash than briquettes.

Because it is almost pure carbon, it is much lighter - almost one-fifth of its original weight, and is very brittle. While very few impurities remain, there is enough to add a mild smoky flavor, but adding wood chunks of your choice will insure the flavor in the meat that you prefer.

Agreed, lump will add some great flavor, not smoke though.
Adding Pecan, Oak, Apple or Cherry will be nice.
Just dont add to much as poultry is a sponge for smoke. IMHO:icon_smile_tongue:

I agree with the others. When I use the pit with lump charcoal, it's there for the heat. I'll set chunks of smoking woods around the perimeter to get the smoke. I'm a fan of apple wood.

Back