Brisket Enigma (Briskegma?)

So what say you, my brisket brethren? What the heck is he doing that I'm not???

-Bastid

Watch the video closely. The brisket has been re-wrapped. It is also facing the opposite direction when he pulls it than it was when he first wraps it. If I had to guess, I would say that he stuck the brisket in the electric warmer that he uses to finish it off and then stuck it back in the smoker for the video.

I also just noticed that if you stop the video at precisely 1:39, you can glimpse that this is a CHOICE grade brisket from "Chefs Table."

He's getting these results from a Choice Grade brisket. That hints to me that my cooking process is the likely culprit here.

Well I'm going to take the "quality" variable out of the equation by making a purchase of a Prime-grade packer, and run things through my traditional cooking strategy:

-- Maintain 250 degree pit temp on my 22.5" WSM
-- Fat cap UP (given the indirect heat of the WSM)
-- Wrap with butchers paper at internal temp of 165-170
-- Start probing flat for done'ness at 190

If my suspicion about the poor quality of the briskets I've been purchasing is true, I should have a delicious dinner....
What does he do that I am not?
-Bastid
I Know that his resturant pits run between 275 & 325 and I don't remember seeing a thermometer except on the pit.
A WSM has the heat coming from below to me that means fat cap down.
If you want something that is as close to what he cooks you need to change your Game. I can get real close and I cook select & choice grade meat From Wal mart & HEB.
Since your cooking on a WSM this is how I cook on the UDS( NO waterpan no diffuser)
cook temp 300
trim the hard fat
S&P
FC down 4 hrs
Wrap in BP
Continue at 300
1-2 HRs it Will probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat.
let it rest wrapped on the counter top until the internal temp drops into the 150's
never fails grade don't matter weight don't matter
6 hrs cook and aprox 2 hr rest
it jiggles when it hits the board and melts in yo mouf

Well I'm going to take the "quality" variable out of the equation by making a purchase of a Prime-grade packer, and run things through my traditional cooking strategy:

-- Maintain 250 degree pit temp on my 22.5" WSM
-- Fat cap UP (given the indirect heat of the WSM)
-- Wrap with butchers paper at internal temp of 165-170
-- Start probing flat for done'ness at 190

If my suspicion about the poor quality of the briskets I've been purchasing is true, I should have a delicious dinner....

-Bastid

This is the best part about having meat as a hobby. We get to experiment and try new things. How awesome is that? Looking forward to reading your results!

As far as it being soft and pliable I think that's part of cooking till it's tender, proper amount of moisture in the pit and not letting too much heat crisp it up. Basically a lot of things to have under control.. experience.

I hope he was joking at 2:25 when he started running. Otherwise its pretty obvious who the stats guy was when he was in school. That isn't the run of a db. LOL. He knows his Q though. Looks great, thanks for posting the video.

I hope he was joking at 2:25 when he started running. Otherwise its pretty obvious who the stats guy was when he was in school. That isn't the run of a db. LOL. He knows his Q though. Looks great, thanks for posting the video.

lol, he's being silly. The 1st time I ate there he was walking around and talking to people, really friendly guy.

You guys also forget about the quality of meat he starts with. He doesn't go to the grocery store to buy his brisket.....

I took my first trip down there this weekend and got to talk to him about brisket. he told me he uses prime choice straight from kansas.

one thing i noticed was his butcher paper was completely soaked in fat vs what my brisket looks like when its done.I asked if he spritz and he said nooo. he attributed this to the quality of the brisket.

Your mileage will vary, but I always nailed the choice briskets I cooked. Only recently have the Primes been better than the choice.

Choice is the most forgiving briskets IMHO.

I took my first trip down there this weekend and got to talk to him about brisket. he told me he uses prime choice straight from kansas.

one thing i noticed was his butcher paper was completely soaked in fat vs what my brisket looks like when its done.I asked if he spritz and he said nooo. he attributed this to the quality of the brisket.

He's still fat side up when he wraps, that may make a difference too.

I still use an internal thermometer...not as an end game, but it gives me an idea as to when I need to start babysitting it.

Same here. Temp gets you close, and go by feel after that. :grin:

I Know that his resturant pits run between 275 & 325 and I don't remember seeing a thermometer except on the pit.
A WSM has the heat coming from below to me that means fat cap down.
If you want something that is as close to what he cooks you need to change your Game. I can get real close and I cook select & choice grade meat From Wal mart & HEB.
Since your cooking on a WSM this is how I cook on the UDS( NO waterpan no diffuser)
cook temp 300
trim the hard fat
S&P
FC down 4 hrs
Wrap in BP
Continue at 300
1-2 HRs it Will probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat.
let it rest wrapped on the counter top until the internal temp drops into the 150's
never fails grade don't matter weight don't matter
6 hrs cook and aprox 2 hr rest
it jiggles when it hits the board and melts in yo mouf

S&P? Excuse my ignorance but what does that refer to?

Salt & Peppa:doh: actually Kosher Salt and Med Grind Black Pepper

I've never sliced the point like that. Is that what you guys do? It seems like you are then cutting the remaining flat with the grain?

I'm buying butcher paper this week. How wide should I go? 18" ... 24"??? Also, Restaurant Despot only has white. I'm assuming that's ok. It's not waxed.

I've never sliced the point like that. Is that what you guys do? It seems like you are then cutting the remaining flat with the grain?

I'm buying butcher paper this week. How wide should I go? 18" ... 24"??? Also, Restaurant Despot only has white. I'm assuming that's ok. It's not waxed.

Franklin uses 18". I use 24". You still have to double them up when wrapping briskets, but with a 14" roll you only need one sheet to wrap ribs.

Will parchment paper work if I can't find butcher paper?

No. Parchment paper has a wax coating on one side.

Back