Is this appropriate from a rep?

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Last weekend, on Friday evening, the rep at the contest we were at came around and told my partner and his wife that all of the judges at the contest were as old or older than him, so we should back off on the heat. I wasn't there yet, so I'm not sure of the exact words.

I assume (I guess) that he told all 54 teams the same thing. (?)

It just left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.

Is it normal for stuff like this to happen?

I don't compete, nor am I a member of any sanctioning body, but that doesn't sound like legitimate advice to me, and might even be considered an attempt to influence. But, I don't know. I'd be a little suspect, even if it were totally innocent.

Its not his job to tell pit masters how to cook. What if the old men love hot stuff. He was out of line for sure.

We toned our ribs down just a hair, but I doubt it mattered as I still haven't nailed tenderness like I want.

I thought you lost taste when you got older and needed everything more spicy. Guess not.

The old fellow was probility just trying to be helpfull , it could be some good advice don't string him up for it. it's like don't bite the hand that feeds you i'm sure after this post you woun't get any more tips from him

As you age you end up having more sweet taste buds. Maybe he was eluding to that. I've heard of teams watching the judges going to the judging area and making last minute adjustments to their turn ins based on the overall "age" of the judges. Being a first year team we don't do that. It's complicated enough already.

The old fellow was probility just trying to be helpfull , it could be some good advice don't string him up for it. it's like don't bite the hand that feeds you i'm sure after this post you woun't get any more tips from him

I really don't think anyone is stringing anyone up here, but it is irregular for a judge or rep to go to a cook and try to influence their taste profile, for whatever the reason I would think. For another cook who has experience with the local judges to do so is one thing, but for a judge or rep? ...

Not trying to string anyone up. It just struck me as odd and I'm trying to learn the ropes. I value the BBQ opinions on this forum more than any others.This is the best place I know of to do that, so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what people thought.

In my opinion, any such observation should take place at the cooks meeting where everyone can hear it. If a Rep delivered his opinion to a subset of the teams at a contest, there could be a question as to how such advice may have influenced the outcome.

If everybody hears the same thing, then it's less of a problem, though I think most would agree it isn't wise for a Rep to give cooking advice just prior to an event he is Repping.

It's not like we all carry a big bottle of cayenne in case we have young or old judges, and adjust accordingly. What we brought is what we brought..

Yes, it was inappropriate to say that

It's not like we all carry a big bottle of cayenne in case we have young or old judges, and adjust accordingly. What we brought is what we brought..

Yes, it was inappropriate to say that

Wait... You don't carry a gallon jug of cayenne? I was told that you did so I've been bringing one, too! :doh:

:becky:

inappropriate I say, but if the rep told each and every team the same exact thing that would not look like he was catering to one or a select few teams.

Back