Cheap cover for thunderstorms

porkgasmbbq

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Rookie question- Trying to figure out how to deal w/ storms with just a couple of UDSes. We've just been to one comp and the rain and wind from a thunderstorm really screwed with our smokers. I was thinking about putting together some metal siding and piping to at least cover the smokers, and maybe get some welder blankets. Other than getting a full comp trailer, any suggestions?

We use a different type of smoker, but having a welding blanket isn't a bad idea either. We use a couple EZ ups with sides for coverage, but the welding blanket has come in handy when it's been cold.

I use a 2' x 2' piece of fiber board with two pieces of 2 x 4 on their sides cut to fit the inside of my UDS lid. It keeps the rain out and provides adequate ventilation for the UDS. I've cooked in down pours and had very little water get into my UDS.

Really good question. I've tried - and failed - with a lot of options. I once did a brisket turn in with tornado sirens going off. After that, I started looking around and trying different things. The best solution I came up with is a heavy-duty EZ up with a fire resistant canopy, WALLS and a LOT of weight holding it down. But just because it's the "best solution I came up with", doesn't mean it's great. Gets awful smokey in there...

Some comps get visits from the local Fire Marshal and they won't allow you to have a smoker under a canopy. They make silicone covers for WSM's. They work real well to insulate the cookers and keep them dry. I am sure they would work for a UDS.

Back