• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grow and grill?? Gardening questions

basuraman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Planning on growing some of the food we cook this year. We are thinking of doing at least one raised bed and some random pots. I know we want to attempt tomatoes, peppers and some herbs. Anyone have some suggestions for us brown thumbs?

We have a small backyard and I am in hot northern California.

Any ideas appreciated.

Well in England I grow a lot of veg and fruit, and most of it ends on the Q. I grow a lot of corn that I grill with the leaves on. You can grow more than others because of your climate. Best thing to grow is what you like to eat the most. Your be amazed what you can grow in a small space and the flavour will blow your socks off!!

Invicta

Raised beds worked great for me. I had 8 of them and grew about 25 tomato plants and about 60-80 pepper plants. I made them out of 2x10's so they would hold more soil. I spaced the tomatoes & peppers off the square foot method. So a 4'x4' bed could hold 16 peppers. Larger plants like squash/zucchini need more space and they are easy to grow too. Mine were all along a fence so the backs of the beds were tomatoes and in front were peppers. I also had a timed drip irrigation system to water it all since during the summer in GA it is hot as hell and needed to water almost daily.

So I say setup a few raised beds as you get the most plants in smaller area. Grow what you will eat. For peppers I pretty much grew bell peppers, banana, jalapeno, and cherry. For tomatoes I only grew 2-3 varieties as I found many tasted alike. Cherokee purple were my favorite. Peppers grow like crazy and can take the heat. Tomatoes you have to be a little more careful about getting them water.

For herbs, they grow well in pots or in raised beds too. Just make sure if you grow mint to put that in a pot by itself. That stuff is like a weed and will choke out anything it is planted next to. I pretty much just grew mint, basil and rosemary.

I miss growing stuff as I did for 4 years, but moved and might try and start up another garden soon.

Oh and good soil. Good soil is key. For me it was almost as easy as get good soil, put plants in the dirt and water. Almost that easy :crazy:.

25 TOMATO PLANTS! where you selling to Hunt's? I had 4 and couldnt keep up lol

I now grow mainly herbs and peppers. I've grown tomatoes, and had a peach tree at the old house.

In Texas, the main problem I had growing tomatoes was birds pecking holes in them. I had to keep netting over my plants. Same with my peach tree. But, I had a big yard back then, so no big deal.

I use raised gardens for my pepper plants. I water every day in the hot summer months, and the soil drains well. I use Scott's garden soil. It stays moist, but not wet.

Other than my basil, my herbs are almost maintenance free. Peppers are pretty easy, too.

You mentioned "hot." If your days get over 95, and your nights stay over 80, you may have problems getting tomatoes and peppers to set fruit during that time of summer. The plants will grow well, and flower, but the flowers will not turn into fruit.

One neat trick I employ is getting those foam pots that look like decorative clay posts, and cut the bottoms off, and partially bury them in the ground. I cut them at an angle, so they "tilt" in odd directions. It gives me a few "mini gardens" to plant herbs and decorative plants in. I have them randomly placed in the part of my yard "paved" with decomposed granite. It works, and I like the look.

picture.php

Oh, I also want to warn you about mint. As Jason said, it is VERY invasive, so keep it well isolated.

I too am in Sacramento CA, and mainly grow tomatoes and herbs. Last years tomatoes were great, this years, not so much. I have some really bad clay soil in my area, so I have to make sure that I amend the clay with topsoil and compost.

I grow herbs in two half wine barrels. I drilled drainage holes in the bottom, stapled an old t-shirt over the holes to prevent the soil from draining out, then filled with potting soil. I've grown basil, sage, thyme and oregano. The sage and oregano really do well without much tending. The sage usually shoots up like a weed, and I'm constantly lopping off large amounts to give away at work. Basil does well, but needs to be monitored when it gets really hot.

25 TOMATO PLANTS! where you selling to Hunt's? I had 4 and couldnt keep up lol

Yeah it was a little much, but not like anyone here has ever gone overboard with a hobby :becky:. Shared with family and friends. Nothing like being able to go into the back yard and grab a bunch of tomatoes/peppers/veggies.

Here are some pics of the setup I used to have.
g2.jpg

g1.jpg

Here was a day where I went out to grab a few peppers and came in with this :icon_blush:.
g3.jpg

I too am in Sacramento CA, and mainly grow tomatoes and herbs. Last years tomatoes were great, this years, not so much. I have some really bad clay soil in my area, so I have to make sure that I amend the clay with topsoil and compost.

I grow herbs in two half wine barrels. I drilled drainage holes in the bottom, stapled an old t-shirt over the holes to prevent the soil from draining out, then filled with potting soil. I've grown basil, sage, thyme and oregano. The sage and oregano really do well without much tending. The sage usually shoots up like a weed, and I'm constantly lopping off large amounts to give away at work. Basil does well, but needs to be monitored when it gets really hot.

Same experience here in North Texas. My oregano, sage, rosemary and thyme were easy as pie to maintain. The basil required attention -- at least weekly. The basil needed extra nutrients, and picking off the brown leaves. I also had to watch for insects, and deal with them with organic pesticides, if they got too destructive.

CD

Same experience here in North Texas. My oregano, sage, rosemary and thyme were easy as pie to maintain. The basil required attention -- at least weekly. The basil needed extra nutrients, and picking off the brown leaves. I also had to watch for insects, and deal with them with organic pesticides, if they got too destructive.

CD
I'm loving your potted Thyme plant you posted earlier, I'm going to have to copy that one, as Thyme is probably my favorite herb to cook with.

Whatever you grow think Epsom salt as a soil amendment.

This pic was from last spring. We grow a lot! Size is 16x70 feet. I rototill leaves in soil every year to build up soil. All organic, no spray in my garden.
3ygepa7u.jpg

A small part of the harvest.
ady8equv.jpg

te5azeha.jpg

This years canned salsa, we only made 10 gallons. It used about half of our tomatoes.

yza6anyq.jpg

I can't speak to your local conditions. I'm sure things are different in the Midwest and what works for me may not work for you.

I highly recommend getting some herbs like sage, rosemary, thyme, chives and anything else you use regularly. (I have some chives on the windowsill and used them to spice up some butternut squash soup we had for dinner.)

In the summer I love to pick a zucchini, slice it up and grill it to go with dinner.

I also suggest that you look into square foot gardening. It espouses techniques that work well for small plots like raised beds.

Some garden pron:

DSC_5485-PP.JPG
DSC_5518-PP.JPG

DSC_5521-PP.JPG
DSC_5449-PP.JPG

DSC_5123-PP.JPG

Guess I need another hobby to feed this hobby.......:twitch:So, why raised beds over flat? I know were I live the rabbits eat everything. Do you guys have rabbit problems? And what in the Fark do you do will all these veggies and herbs!! So now I gotta take up canning as well.....:doh: Go ahead, get me hooked I'm easy and I like to cook and eat...............:becky:

Planning on growing some of the food we cook this year. We are thinking of doing at least one raised bed and some random pots. I know we want to attempt tomatoes, peppers and some herbs. Anyone have some suggestions for us brown thumbs?

We have a small backyard and I am in hot northern California.

Any ideas appreciated.

Check out the book The New Square Foot Garden. I got it from the library and liked it so well I bought it.

Guess I need another hobby to feed this hobby.......:twitch:So, why raised beds over flat? I know were I live the rabbits eat everything. Do you guys have rabbit problems? And what in the Fark do you do will all these veggies and herbs!! So now I gotta take up canning as well.....:doh: Go ahead, get me hooked I'm easy and I like to cook and eat...............:becky:

Any of the links here will answer the raised bed benefits. Traditional gardening works too, but for me is was easier than tilling up the yard along with, better drainage and easier weed control.
https://www.google.com/search?q=raised+bed+benefits&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

When I started some 20 years ago, I tilled up some ground and planted plants bought from local store. Kept them watered and got a ok harvest. Since then I've learned what to plant next to each other and how to and when to harvest. My biggest suggestion would to build up your soil, add organic manure, get a good weeding hoe and water regularly. Mine is watered automatically every night by sprinkler. Not the optimum way but it works. Last year off of 12 roma tomatoes plants I got a little over 200 pounds of tomatoes. Don't be afraid, jump in and grow fresh natural veggies. Your taste buds will appreciate it!

Home canned salsa on home made chorizzo and fresh home made flour tortilla.

4y6ejegu.jpg

Back