totally Raw/uncooked turn in @ Troy Pig Out, Troy NY, 7/20,14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question:

If 25 teams turn in all 4 boxes, EVEN IF one of the teams is DQ'd, then the contest is a qualifier, correct?

Obviously, the Jack thinks so, and it's their contest that the whole "qualifier" thing is about.

I mean, if you turn in a box late, you're DQ'd, but you're not removed from the list of teams, right?

So, even if the "box in question" had raw pork and broke the pork rule, it still counts as one of the teams needed to qualify the event.

I mean, that's the bottom line, right?

If I haven't said it yet.....congrats on your GC and bung, Jacked Up.

Sorry to all the haters and people with nothing better to do but fight a battle that has nothing to do with them.

That's okay - you're apology's accepted. :heh: LOL

Seriously, though, congratulations and it's great news! Now, go win the Jack!

Good luck in the draw Matt.

I think it was made pretty clear WAY earlier in this thread that it wasn't really raw pork, something we seem to have overlooked as this thread went off the rails.

People at the contest and in a position to know told us that the pork was on a cooker and the team in question was really trying to cook it. For me, the discussion was over at that point.

The pork was underdone and it was correctly judged/scored as being inedible and scored as such. (Actual score: 42.2400)

The same team cooked and turned in the brisket category too, and didn't DAL it. They made a legitimate effort to cook the category, and I think that's all that matters.

Did they get talked into cooking two extra categories or just decide to try it? We don't know, and I think it's a moot point. We can't start policing intentions here, and can only judge by what happened.

The "adult" question here is: should the GC winner get punished due to another team's fark up? An entry that's judged and found to be a DQ counts, and a late turn in doesn't count. Let's say the pork turn in was late instead of under cooked. Would that have changed the results in a material way? No, but it might have prevented the event from being a qualifier. It seems unfair to the winner to me, and I would hope the rules committees of these large contests considers using another standard. (How many teams showed up at the event? How many head cooks were there? How many meat inspections were successful? How many sets of turn in boxes were distributed?)

Besides, we all know that an experienced team that could impact the results of a contest would never miss a turn in. :)roll: Harvard 2013 :becky:)

Last edited:
Sorry not a comp guy but being punished cause another team is late doesn't seem fair. Why can't late entries be counted and just dq'ed? The intent of cooking the category is still there (just late) where throwing random raw meat has no intention of a legitimate entry. It seems backwards to me. Is there a reason why the rules exist that way?

TIA just trying to understand how things work

Good luck in the draw Matt.

I think it was made pretty clear WAY earlier in this thread that it wasn't really raw pork, something we seem to have overlooked as this thread went off the rails.

People at the contest and in a position to know told us that the pork was on a cooker and the team in question was really trying to cook it. For me, the discussion was over at that point.

The pork was underdone and it was correctly judged/scored as being inedible and scored as such. (Actual score: 42.2400)

The pork was not undercooked. It was 100% raw. The team may have been given pork and tried to cook it but what they turned in and was brought to the judges table I sat at was raw pieces of pork.

Best if luck to you Jacked up. I am glad this was not an issue for you. Preventing you from qualifying was that last thing I would have wanted to happen by bringing this topic up.

I was curious about the turn in rule and had actually discussed this with the Lovelys in Stamford last week. (They ran the Troy event, coincidentally.) You need 25 teams to turn in SOMETHING for it to count as a qualifier. It could be the wrong meat. You could put hot dogs in the box. You could put one piece of meat in the box. If there aren't 25 turn ins though, the contest will NOT be a qualifier.

Since Troy was exactly at 25 teams, it wouldn't surprise me if they were warned about this at the cook's meeting - with exactly 25 teams it was important that everyone turn SOMETHING in on time. I am sure that Matt and Sledneck are happy that a team turned in raw pork instead of nothing at all. I'm sure that team was turning something it to make it a qualifier, and just decided to have a little fun with it. A box with any piece of protein in it would have done the trick.

I've been re-reading this thread and thought I remembered reading something like this. What the Reps said is absolutely wrong. Going forward, The Jack is not going to count any entry that isn't the correct meat for the category and cooked (not raw). That is what they are saying in other places like on their Facebook page. There might be some leniency for 2014 due to the time at which the criteria were posted but I wouldn't be turning in chicken in every category, raw meat or anything else going forward.

And shame on the Reps for encouraging anything but the correct meat cooked to food safe temperatures in the turn in box. This is the kind of BS that needs to stop.

Someone has to be the tip of the sword, the sharp edge of the knife, or first man out if the foxhole when ordered to. Those individuals are the ones I want to honor and follow in their foot steps, such as those on flight 93 that was hijacked 09/11.

Not selling rose colored glasses, having my leg pissed on then being told it's raining, part of a herd of sheep being told there is no wolf, or god is waiting - just drink the Kool Aid.

I will give you the shirt off my back, admit when I am wrong, and always speak from the heart-whether it's something you want to hear or not. If that makes a bad person by your point of view, sorry....

I, have all the answers to this question. I will start by saying, I am not the team who did this. I am the team who took 1st in pork with a 175.5. So, do to some last minute drop outs who went to the competition in Rhode Island this event was down to 25 teams... just meeting the qualifications of a KCBS qualifier. This means that if any team DQs in any category then the GC gets screwed royally! I am a numbers guy, so when I heard there were 100 possible chances for something to go wrong my expectation was something would go wrong. Honestly, I am happy to hear that the team with the raw meat turned in! If they did not, The GC would have been robbed do to poor planning and pride.

Now, about the team who turned in raw pork... I am confident it was the team who took last place overall. I am not cocky when it comes to bbq as I am brand new to the circuit, but when I passed by this teams setup I knew I was competing against one less team. 1 smoker if you would call it that ($40 Brinkmann) a cooler, and two tupperwares.

Replace song with thread. :-D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U2zJOryHKQ"](10hours) Lamb chop song that never ends - YouTube[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back