Anyone here made their own griddle for their grill?

RolandFinland

Reaction score
I want to build a griddle for my weber 22.5", a simple round piece of steel is what I am thinking, perhaps a back wall welded on so that food doesn't fall off that way. But I am concerned about warpage from the heat and how that should affect the choice of thickness.

I was thinking 1/8" first but that might be too little. I found a commercial variant that used 1/4" steel and perhaps that is good. Some people told me they got 3/8" pizza steels in their ovens and they still warp though...

The 1/4" griddle I saw had pieces of steel bar welded under it. I wonder if that is to prevent warpage or some other purpose. To me it seems a sensible solution, don't want to go overboard with an unnecessarily thick top.

KRv4YSBh.jpg

I dunno, what do you guys think? I know I want to make one, I like building stuff and it's more rewarding than just buying whatever.

Those look great, you didn't have any problems with warpage then I assume? I assume the edges on the first one stiffens it up.

I probably have a dozen or two griddles (mostly 22.5 and 26.75 Webers) out there being used, have not experienced or heard of any warping issues. They can get plenty hot too! There are several threads on here with folks that are using them you can probably find with the search tool.

Edit: strongbacks like the ones welded on the back of that Mojoe Outfitters griddle (a really good product by the way) in your photo above can be a good idea to The sidewalls on mine help with the same potential warping issue, plus give you and edge to work against when turning or removing food from the griddle and helps channel grease & gunk to the drain.

Last edited:
That's good to know, some other people I talked to made the warping a big deal so I started worrying about it.

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking at 3/8 carbon steel, a 22" circle that I'll then play with as far as how much of that 22" circle to cut away for fire vent / grease catch.

The strongbacks look like a great idea.

I dont have a griddle for my charcoal grill however i have the 36" BS and i just made a 14"x14"x 1/2" thick griddle for the side burner on my grill stand. I've been thinking about it for a while now and i just bit the bullet and made it. I had some 1/2" plate kicking around so i used that although i wouldve prefered to use 3/16 or 3/8" but didnt have any the size i needed. I seasoned it up but didnt have anything to cook on it at the time so we'll see. The temps did get to over 500° so it'll be plenty hot, which it should be with a 75K btu burner under it.

My only issue with having a griddle over a charcoal fire would be the temp control issues. I prefer to be able to adjust temps quickly which is why i have the BS and the smaller one i just made.

I was afraid the 1/2" may be too thick and take forever to get up to temps but it took about 10 minutes, going slow, for it to reach 500°. Once it was there i could change temps relatively easy. I didnt put any ribs underneath since the 1/2" should be able to handle the heat no problem.

The ribs welded to the bottom of the Mojoe Griddle are there for two very important reasons. You all guessed one of the reasons: Control warping. The second reason is that they lift the Griddle off of the rim of the heat source by one inch. This allows heat and air to flow freely out to the edge of the griddle. The indents at the outer end of the ribs (I call them mounting bars) allow you to snap the griddle on the rim of a Weber 22.5 such that it can't slide off. Heat and air can flow freely out the 7/8" gap between the griddle and the rim of the Weber. Three points of contact means that the Mojoe is always stable on the rim even with a minute amount of warping. Temperature is controlled using the bottom vents of the Weber.

The mounting bars also allow you to use the Mojoe on a propane stove burner such as a Camp Chef or a turkey fryer burner. All of these stoves have a rim that would prevent heat flow if the ribs were not there.

The Mojoe is also designed for use on many other heat sources such as campfires (three attachable fire pit legs are included), backyard fire pits, washtub fire pits, chimeneas, smaller versions of the Weber, WSM's, inside your interior fireplace and even the 26" Weber, etc. The Mojoe can be used on just about any high output heat source.

One of the accessories for the Mojoe is the Strap-On Griddlip. This is a 1.5" high strap of stainless steel that snaps into the handle holes on either side of the griddle (the Mojoe also comes with two stainless steel removable handles). The Strap-On provides a half circle rim that keep food on the Mojoe and also allows you to bank cooked food against it while you cook something else.

Here's a photo of the Mojoe with the Strap-on attached:

12309735_424559747742429_3566607464505162818_o.jpg

Cam

BTW, even though I have a patent on the Mojoe, I encourage those with the ability and resources to build their own for their own use! The more people who see the Mojoe Griddle in action, the better for Mojoe Outfitters. If anyone has a question regarding how to build one (dimensions, materials, etc.) - Post up. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Cam

How much for a 22" dia?

The Mojoe Griddle currently is only available in a 24 " diameter. The price for the Griddle with SS handles and campfire legs is $195 The Strap-On Griddlip is an extra $39.

Cam

Back