First cook in the books - Brisket

billmag9

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Well, I'm gonna call my first attempt a success. Came out very tasty, but it was definitely tougher than it should have been. The 12.5 brisket was in at 225 for 11 hours. The flat was dry, the point juicy, but both tougher than it should have been. Great flavor, however. Wondering if the rub made much of a flavor difference. I used Obie Q big bulls. I think next time I leave it in till a higher internal temp is reached in the flat- maybe another 1 to 1.5 hours. But would that make it even more dry?? The family said they loved it, and by how much they ate, it must been pretty good! Thanks for all the help guys. Next one gonna be better! I think Pork butt and spare ribs are next on the "1st time" docket.

Could have just been the brisket itself. Sounds like you did great for the first go round.. Family are in for a treat as you get better and try more things !

For a while I straight gave up on brisket. I could never get it as tender as I knew it could be. And for the price in Alabama it just wasn't worth it. Finding full packers here is a quest in itself. Choice flats at Costco still go for 5-7 dollars a pound.

But one day I either bought the right flat or drank enough beer. I dozed off a bit and let the internal temp climb close to 210. It was perfect. Now I'm addicted to brisket again.

Cook until the thickest part of the flat is probe tender, don't go by internal temps, same when you cook the Butt. If you like cooking at 225 that's fine but you don't have to to get great results. I cook both Briskets and Butts at 300 so if you want to cook at a higher temp don't be afraid to, there really isn't a magic number.

Good luck with your next cook.

KevinJ said exactly what I would suggest, too. Going solely on internal temps will not give you consistent results. When the thickest part of the flat probes tender the brisket is done. If the brisket was tough, it most likely wasn't done.....

A little longer would have helped since it was a little tough. Another vote here to go by probe tender vs internal temp. I like that you ain't scared to jump right in.

Sounds like you undercooked. Tough and dry=undercooked. Juicy and falling apart=overcooked.

Ive heard the guideline 1.5 hours per lb for cooking low and slow (225). BUT everyone on this site will tell you don't go by time or internal temp other than rough guidelines. It's done when it's done, when the thick part of the flat probes tender like putting a knife in soft butter.

Good luck !

Yep gonna try that. I had thought maybe I missed that point of "knife thru butter" and was going to turn it into leather. Sounds likely that I didn't leave it in long enough. I pulled it at 194. The probe slid in easily into the point then met some resistance towards the middle. Should have been more aware of that.

Yep gonna try that. I had thought maybe I missed that point of "knife thru butter" and was going to turn it into leather. Sounds likely that I didn't leave it in long enough. I pulled it at 194. The probe slid in easily into the point then met some resistance towards the middle. Should have been more aware of that.

Thanks to this site I've learned from the very beginning to check briskets for probe tender. I have never pulled a brisket under 200 degrees. I start checking for doneness at 195. Even then I'll let it ride for a while. Brisket will more than likely be juicy and falling apart if its overcooked so I wouldn't worry about it cooking into leather. Funny thing about brisket is its tougher when undercooked

225 is a good temp for some things, but I don't do brisket under 250, and higher the bigger the brisket. I would probably have targeted 275 for a 12+ pound hunk, and when they get over 14, I start at 275 and kick it up to 300 after 3-4 hours. A little higher temp gets it done quicker without getting into hot and fast territory. 8-10 hours is still slow.

Kudos to you for going with a brisket right out of the gate!
Another vote here on cooking to prob tender, don't worry about the IT - it will be different for every piece of meat you cook.

Yep, definitely sounds under cooked, but not bad for a first attempt. Here is my plan that I put together from what I have learned from this site:

I am by no means a brisket master, but here is what I do:

Shopping for the brisket:

- Here in SoTex, we have access to cheaper briskets. I watch for Primes to go on sale and buy a couple of them at around $3 a pound.
- I shoot for somewhere in the 14-16 pound range.
- I will go through every brisket they have picking them out. I look for a brisket that has a thick flat and a thick point. It might make it more narrow, but less chance of drying out.
- I love a nice, floppy brisket. Grab it from one end and shake it up and down and see how "loose" the meat is. The last one I bought would easily fold over on itself and sit on the counter that way.

Planning:

- Briskets take a LONG time to cook. And two 14 pound briskets may be done hours apart from each other. Plan accordingly. I like to plan for 1.25 hours per pound, a couple hours for resting, and I'll usually throw in another hour or two in case things go sideways. There is nothing worse than a starving family asking if it's done yet.

Prepping the brisket:

- I have done the heavy trimming and no trim at all. I prefer somewhere in the middle. I trim the fat cap to 1/4" or so, but not too picky about it. I do try to get rid of as much of the thick, usually yellowish, hard fat that is between the muscles. This won't render and is just bad stuff.
- I like to look at the bottom side of the brisket and see which way the grain is running on the flat. I will notch the corner against the grain so when it's ready to slice, I know from which end to start.
- Once trimmed, I throw the brisket in the sink or a pan and give it a good rub down with Worcestershire sauce or olive oil. I sprinkle heavily with Kosher Salt. I want to see the crystals. It's a thick cut of meat and can use the salt. I sprinkle even heavier in black pepper, just cause that's the way I like it. I also add a little onion powder and garlic powder. Those four spices together are usually known as SPOG. If I am feeling adventurous, I might sprinkle a little Chipotle powder or paprika. I like to wrap the brisket up in Saran wrap and let it rest for a couple hours or overnight in the fridge, but it can go right to the smoker at this point.

On the smoker:

- I have a Lone Star Grillz Insulated cabinet, but have cooked these on a vertical offset too. I typically call for letting the smoker run where it's comfortable. My WSM liked 275*. My cabinet prefers 250*, but with a Guru attached, I usually do an overnight cook and start out at 225*, and then crank it up to 275* in the morning. I use KBB and add some Mesquite and Pecan chunks.
- Once I get the smoker fired up, Guru blowing, and doors closed, I go get the cold brisket out of the fridge, unwrap it and put it on. I have found that putting the cold meat on while the smoker is still coming up to temp has provided more of a smoke ring. I don't know the science behind it, but it works for me.
- I have tried fat cap up and fat cap down. No real difference on my smoker. I will say that no matter which way I place it, the outside of the meat on the opposite side of the fat cap always seems to get a little crusty. Not a lot, not bad, just takes a little work to slice through. Still tastes great. I am still working on that.
- Again, low and slow (225*) overnight, and then I crank it up in the morning. I used to wrap in foil on my WSM. I bought a roll of Kraft paper to try wrapping that way, but never got around to it. Since I got this cabinet, I started letting them ride nekkid the whole way and I found that I like it better that way.
- I don't cook by time or temp, but I do follow the temp. The brisket is done when I can shake it and the point jiggles like Jello and when a wooden chopstick pushes easily through the thickest part of the flat.

Off the smoker:

- When done smoking, I pull the meat off and set it on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes to rest and let the residual heat die down and stop cooking.
- After that rest, I will wrap it in foil, wrap it in an old towel, and put it in a cooler. If I am feeling lazy, I'll just put it in the cool oven. There's enough heat still that it will warm the oven up and keep it that way for a couple hours. I leave it to rest like this for at least an hour, but two is better. We did a benefit where we held the briskets in coolers for 10+ hours and they were still burning my fingers when I pulled them out.

Slicing:

- I separate the point from the flat and set it aside. Just slide a knife between the two muscles and it should easily come apart.
- I find my notched corner and start slicing the flat in 1/4" slices against the grain. Depending on the size of the brisket, I may cut the widest part of the flat in half and then go back to slicing. Great size for tacos and no one wants the slice dangling off the edges of the plate.
- For the point, I flip it over and find the grain. Again, I will cut this in half with the grain and then make slices against the grain.
- The thin outer edges may crumble a bit. This is ok.

The test:

- A slice of the flat should be able to be tugged gently from both ends, you'll see it stretch a bit, and then break in two.
- You should be able to lay a slice of the flat on the cutting board, fold it over on itself, and it should stay like that without unfolding back or breaking in half.
- Gently pushing down on the meat should cause some juices to run out.

The general rule is as follows:

The brisket is tough and dry - Undercooked
The brisket is falling apart and dry - Overcooked
The brisket is tender and juicy - CONGRATS!

What Terry wrote above is a wonderful distillation of various methods and techniques posted on here by him and others, and is a reflection of what works for HIM. Lots to be gleaned from it! Ultimately you will find what works best for YOU.

As some others have said, props for jumping right in with doing a brisket!

What Terry wrote above is a wonderful distillation of various methods and techniques posted on here by him and others, and is a reflection of what works for HIM. Lots to be gleaned from it! Ultimately you will find what works best for YOU.

As some others have said, props for jumping right in with doing a brisket!

Thanks ! I just figured, I really want to learn to cook fantastic brisket, and I wasn't going to get there by avoiding it. I fell like I have already learned a couple things from the first cook, that I can do better next time. I appreciate the help!

Bill

What Alan said is 100% correct. The above is information I gathered here on this wonderful site and what works best for me. There are 1000's of ways to BBQ. You have to try various ways and find out what works best for you.

You mention in the original post that you are not sure if the rub made much of a flavor difference. I put a lot of rub as it is a thick piece of meat that is only going to be seasoned around the thin sliced outside.

Next time you try one, post pics of the meat before and after it goes on the smoker, and of it sliced. We can let you know what we think. But, ultimately, it comes down to what you and the family like...

Thanks ! I just figured, I really want to learn to cook fantastic brisket, and I wasn't going to get there by avoiding it. I fell like I have already learned a couple things from the first cook, that I can do better next time. I appreciate the help!

Bill

Search out the Franklin brisket videos. I think he cooked a brisket across three videos covering trimming and rub, cooking, and finishing and slicing.

The guy knows brisket and his restaurant is the gold standard for Texas style BBQ. What may stand out is how little he does. KISS. He trims the thick fat, adds salt and pepper and wraps in paper when he has the dark mahogany color he is after. Pull when done, slice and eat. Wood smoke, time and temperature do the rest.

What Alan said is 100% correct. The above is information I gathered here on this wonderful site and what works best for me. There are 1000's of ways to BBQ. You have to try various ways and find out what works best for you.

You mention in the original post that you are not sure if the rub made much of a flavor difference. I put a lot of rub as it is a thick piece of meat that is only going to be seasoned around the thin sliced outside.

Next time you try one, post pics of the meat before and after it goes on the smoker, and of it sliced. We can let you know what we think. But, ultimately, it comes down to what you and the family like...

Thanks THoey, I will definitely do that.

Back