Brethren (Tarhog) inspired shrimp hobo packets

USMC

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
There is a Brethren Inspired Throwdown going on and I have been wanting to do a seafood foil hobo packet on my kettle. I found Tarhog's low country boil in the Throwdown Hall of Fame and used that for my inspiration.

I put shrimp, potatoes, andouille sausage, quartered corn on the cob, lemon slices, olive oil, butter, Old Bay seasoning, fresh ground salt and pepper, and some parsley in a foil packet. I parboiled the potatoes for a few minutes to ensure they would get fully done in the packets while on the grill.

I just made a poortex for my kettle so i figured this would be a good first test. I cut the bottom out of a stainless dog bowl and burned it out on an empty test run the other night. I put the hobo packets on the Weber at *450 dome temp for about 20 minutes. I turned the packets about halfway through.

I took the packets off and my wife enjoyed a great lunch before she headed off to work. Here is the final product.

I made 4 packets, so we will both also have a great dinner while we are both at work tonight. Thanks for looking!

Thanks y'all! It was a hit with the wife. She asked me if this was something I could do once a week or so. It was easy and didn't take long.

Looks great. I bet you could throw scallops or mussels in there too. Showed this to the kids and they said they wanted some now!

Wife mentioned that she would like to try some scallops in it. Didn't think about mussels, but I'm thinking they may be hard to find down here. I'd like to try that out if I can find some. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks USMC. I did this tonight. Used a half sheet pan insteas of individual packets. Also threw in some scallops and some raw green beans. Need to par cook the potatoes a little more and my son requested more lemon next time too....but overall AWESOME!

Thanks USMC. I did this tonight. Used a half sheet pan insteas of individual packets. Also threw in some scallops and some raw green beans. Need to par cook the potatoes a little more and my son requested more lemon next time too....but overall AWESOME!

Your welcome! Glad to hear it turned out good. If I ever were to cook a bigger batch, I would also use a sheet pan too. Great idea! Thanks!

Back