• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Canadian Bacon

valentiners

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am about done building a BDS and would like to find a Canadian Bacon recipe to try. Hope someone has one to share.:roll:

I use the High Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure on a pork loin for 5 days and smoke it to 160. I know some others use Morton's Quick Cure cut with brown sugar, but I don't know the percentages.

There are a multitude of great threads on Canadian Bacon and Buckboard Bacon. The best thing would be to use the search function. There is so much info on the forum this is the only way for you to get it all.

Canadain Back Bacon is about the cut of meat more than the cure IIRC. Back Bacon is really lean. The Fat and Protein numbers are the opposite of regular bacon.

I currently have a Canadian bacon taste test in progress. I used 4 different cures (2 dry & 2 brine) and smoked them all at the same time. I'm waiting to hear back from 6 "brave" volunteers to see what the preferences are.

The two dry cures were fairly simple.

Dry cure #1: 1 Tbls Tenderquick and 1 tsp brown sugar per pound of loin

Dry cure #2: Dry cure #1 plus 1/2 tsp each of onion and garlic powder

The brines are more involved and I'd have to go look them up. One is from Charcuterie and the other is from another forum.

Back