Let's Talk Spices, Boston Butts, and Flavor Layer/Mixing

I_Use_The_Force

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Pork Butt Brands & Stores

We've tried a few different meat providers...a few providers have turned out alright, but never been thrilled with what I've seen. Would love to hear y'all's experiences with various stores/brands. Here's what we've seen:
BJ's - Average - eh...all smithfield products. MM's usually seems pretty small.
Harris Teeter - Averages - same as BJs...all smithfield products
Restaurant Supply - Above Average...got decent butts from RS...their butts certainly seem 1-2 pounds larger on average than the Smittys.

Have yet to try any local farms or butchers...anyone use a local guy for their competition meats?

Also heard Moe Cason mention he uses some type of premium meat for pork on one of the episodes of pit wars. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me...anyone know the meat he might have been referring to?

Spices
Where do you guys get your spices? Organic or non-organic? 95% of our spice rack is filled with McCormick...again...'eh'...not really been that impressed with them.

Also used a lot of pro team spices and never been overly wow'd by any of them. Tried most of smoking guns stuff, various butcher's, wicked Q's, but like I said...didn't think anything was really any better than the basic stuff I make on my own. Any other spices you guys would recommend I try?

What's your go to spice/liquid to provide heat, sweet, tangy, color, and savoriness? Here's my picks:
Heat: Red Pepper Flakes & Cayenne
Sweet: Brown Sugar
Tang: Yellow Mustard (or white/apple vinegar)
Color:Parika
Savoriness: Butcher's Pork Injection
Flavor Profiles
One of the areas I really feel like I need to improve upon is mixing/layering flavors. I've started to notice when various spices like sweet and tang or sweet and savory go together, but I'm no where near being competitive.

Here are some flavor pairings I've found that I enjoy...though I have to admit, I've never dented the top 5 at a competition:

Sweet & Savory: Peach, Cinnamon, & Butcher's Pork Injection
Tangy & Savory: Pickle Juice Vinegar & Butcher's Pork Injection
Heat & Sweet: Cayenne & Honey

What flavor combinations have you guys used in the past you've been happy with?

Layering Spices
We compete mostly in western NC & upstate SC since we're just a small team, but Sweet usually scores well from what I've heard. I'm not sure if a balanced approach with your injection, rub, and sauce is the preferred approach or if layering is the way to go. I layer:

Injection: Savory
Rub: Sweet with tiny bit of heat
Sauce: Sweet with tiny bit of heat and tang

So how do you guys do it? Layered or Balanced? I've thought about using various sauces to help balance out my final product. For instance...if my rub was just crazy hot, then I'd throw Blue's sauce on there to try to balance out. If it's not smokey enough, maybe use cattlemans mixed with blues?

I'd recommend taking a class from a winning team in the area you compete. Classes are often times fairly expensive, but if you "do the math" and compare trial and error at comps versus the info you gather at a good BBQ class it makes all the sense in the world.

Along with what Jason said I would also say that while you dont find the Pro Teams products to be up to par, there is a reason that teams win with them.

I was given some advice a long time ago in this world of Comp BBQ - dont offend and believe me when I tell you everything has been tried at least once somewhere...

You are cooking for the judges not your self....

You seem intent on making your own rubs and sauces. This is a good thing to experiment with at home. It's always good to understand how spices work and mix together. However, competitions are a cooking contest, not a rub and sauce contest. I'd suggest using proven rubs and sauces in contests until you get more experience.

I did the same thing. I have my own rub that I formulated and tweaked for competition. I had some success with it (2 top 10 calls , top 5 walk) but it was limited. I've been mentored by a few brethren and taken a class. So I switched to commercial rubs for my last competition. My taste scores went up! (First time with 2 top 10 calls in 1 contest)

This is a thread I started when I joined the brethren and you can see that I was in the same place you were. It's all come full circle now and taken me more than a year of competing to listen to the advice of the very good cooks on the brethren.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203208

Good luck out there! Feel free to PM me with more questions

How do I do it? I leave it to the experts and use commercial products developed by people much smarter than me when it comes to injections, rubs and sauce. I focus on cooking the meat right.

Last time I looked at the score sheet, there were no points for originality. Guys are winning every week with commercial products. Adopt some basic competition injection/rub/sauce profiles and spend your time working on nailing appearance and tenderness.

Back