First small comp coming up soon, looking for so pointers

CKYnick

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first true thread, thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge here, its awesome.

I have my first comp coming up, its small just ribs and chicken...Victory (brewing) brew bq July 30th.

I have my cook down, timing and everything. I was just looking for anyone who is familiar with this area...PA in particular with what flavor profiles I should shoot for?

Its hard for me because whatever I come up with at home, people like. I just need to shoot for what the judges are looking for. I have been over thinking this too much, mostly because I have never signed up for any comp classes. So I am just throwing myself into the mix and shooting for the best.

Any pointers for my first comp will be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Nick

Develop a time line and stick to it. Don't worry about what others are doing (lighting pits). If you don't like it don't put it in the box.
Have fun most of all!!!

Make a check list of what you need including a timeline as mentioned above. Stick to it. Get you some sort of an alarm to keep you in step with when you need to check meats etc..most of all watch the small details, they will kill ya

Who are the judges? Will they be KCBS CBJs or general public?

I'm guessing it's a small non sanctioned backyard competition, I'd go with sweet flavors. But that's just me.

Who are the judges? Will they be KCBS CBJs or general public?

Hey guys, thanks for the responces, sorry i forgot to mention it is MABA sanctioned (mid atlantic bbq assoc.). At least I dont have to worry about garnish. Makes me wonder though, is a bed of pulled or chopped chicken a good idea under the thighs?

For me thats my problem, I am truly going into this in the blind. I have watched countless vids, read countless threads....but it doesnt help me with flavor profiles and such.

Anyways, again this is all appreciated..

Nick

I think the best way to go at it is, good bbq is good bbq, no matter the flavor profile.

Whatever you put in the box can and will be judged so be careful. Whenever I cook backyard comps, I stay towards restaurant quality BBQ. A little overcooked by KCBS standards. Sweeten the sauce and good smoke. I think you'll do fine.

Back