• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Burnt Ends should they be legal

Bubba

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
According to the rules Brisket may be turned in pulled, chopped,cubed or sliced. Here's my question. The only standard for tenderness is for the slices so should any other type of brisket be a legal entry? If only slices were allowed it would simplify the judging process. What do you think?

A KCBS judge is not required to use a pull test on a slice of brisket. I believe the instruction states "one indicator of tenderness is the pull test"

I have frequently received a slice which failed the pull test horribly, but when eating found it to be wonderfully tender and moist. These situations result in much discussion between the judges, as some did not agree with my 9 in tenderness for "failing" the pull test

A KCBS judge is not required to use a pull test on a slice of brisket. I believe the instruction states "one indicator of tenderness is the pull test"
A burnt end (or what they have evolved into) is a piece of point that has been cut into a cube, legal.
Ed
What I am getting at is this. It would make it a lot easier if only slices were allowed. Easier for the cooks as this would be your only option. Easier for the judges as this would be the only thing in the box to judge.

What I am getting at is this. It would make it a lot easier if only slices were allowed. Easier for the cooks as this would be your only option. Easier for the judges as this would be the only thing in the box to judge.

Don't know if Championship BBQ is supposed to be easy.....
The skill is making a crappy piece of meat delicious from one end to the other,
if you call a $180 SRF Gold label Wagu prime a "crappy piece of meat".
Ed

Where does it go from there? Only thighs for chicken, or just sliced mm for pork?

It's a slippery slope

Where does it go from there? Only thighs for chicken, or just sliced mm for pork?

It's a slippery slope
In the IBCA they tell you what and how to present it at the cooks meeting. Those guys don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't either. Just saying.

Don't know if Championship BBQ is supposed to be easy.....
The skill is making a crappy piece of meat delicious from one end to the other,
if you call a $180 SRF Gold label Wagu prime a "crappy piece of meat".
Ed
When I started doing competitions I learned to make my process easier. The less steps helped me me by making it easier to repeat. And that one thing helped me win the American Royal Open bbq contest Grand Champion. I think that by having only one option would help teams and judges both.

In the IBCA they tell you what and how to present it at the cooks meeting. Those guys don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't either. Just saying.
Some of them do.

I have an issue with the sanction telling me how to present my entry. IBCA is now telling teams they cannot turn brisket in fat side up. I'll turn my brisket in any way I damn well want to or I won't compete at your contest. That's my take on it. Pissing off teams is not a good way to grow a contest.

Tenderness... Pull test... Moe's hang test... ugh

Tenderness - Take a bite of the food... is it tender? That's your test right there...

If you look into the judging criteria for brisket there's no standard for tenderness on a burnt end. Unlike pork ribs and chicken where mushy is mentioned. The rule needs looked into.

I guess you guys don't get the point I was trying to make. And as far as more rules I was just trying to clarify the one already in place to help teams and judges.

I was under the impression all of the meats could be turned in sliced, pulled, cubed or any other way a team decides to cut it. Brisket is not limited to slices and burnt ends. Mind you we don't see much deviation from that when it comes to brisket.

Pr813V9.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/Pr813V9.gifv

My thoughts.

I guess you guys don't get the point I was trying to make. And as far as more rules I was just trying to clarify the one already in place to help teams and judges.

I'm fairly confident that your point (no pun intended) wasn't overly esoteric.

I just think that most people disagreed with you.

Eric

Back