Humphreys Pint

P

pharp

Hello everyone. I am looking at getting a Humphrey's Pint for competitions. I currently cook on homemade UDS's that I really like, but would like to upgrade. Does anyone use these for competitions, and if so what would you consider to be the pros/cons of this unit. Is there any "options" that would make it better/easier to use for comps? Any advice is always welcome, but I am really looking for feedback on using this particular unit. Thanks in advance!

I compete with my Battle Box (same as a Pint, just shorter). Anything that makes it easier to clean or move is a worthy upgrade. I have the 8" casters with 8" angle/angle legs, SS rod grates, slide out water pan, and SS grab bars on the side.

I compete with my Battle Box (same as a Pint, just shorter). Anything that makes it easier to clean or move is a worthy upgrade. I have the 8" casters with 8" angle/angle legs, SS rod grates, slide out water pan, and SS grab bars on the side.

What temperature variance do you see between the bottom rack and the top? Thanks for the suggestions!

What temperature variance do you see between the bottom rack and the top? Thanks for the suggestions!

If I put a probe right above the water pan and a probe at the very top rack location, at 300F there could be a 50deg swing. But if you move the bottom rack up 1 notch it evens out to within 10 degrees. If you're looking at a Pint, it'll come with the "Advanced Air Flow" gate inside. The more open the gate, the more temp variation you'll have. Close it down, evens out the temps. The Battle Box doesn't have the AAF feature. Never needed it really...

If I put a probe right above the water pan and a probe at the very top rack location, at 300F there could be a 50deg swing. But if you move the bottom rack up 1 notch it evens out to within 10 degrees. If you're looking at a Pint, it'll come with the "Advanced Air Flow" gate inside. The more open the gate, the more temp variation you'll have. Close it down, evens out the temps. The Battle Box doesn't have the AAF feature. Never needed it really...

Thanks for the input. I am excited to get mine ordered!

Love my Pint, Its an amazing machine made by amazing people. My upgrades included: 8"Casters, stainless grab bars, heat diverter(drop in water pan), 2 extra grates(if money isn't a issue I'd prob upgrade to the stainless steel round bar racks), t/maze, drip tray, pick stick, and I didn't but I would get the probe ports installed. These are just my recommendations, you really need to check out their options and see what fits your needs best. Enjoy it, it's awesome! #teamhumphreys

I have posted pics of my Pint here a bit, but here's another. I use my for comps and she is a rock solid cooker. Upgrades I put on mine, most importantly were the angled legs. I have 6 inch angled legs with 8 inch wheels, this widens the stance out and keeps it much more stable when rolling it at comps on uneven ground.

I also put on the upgraded stainless bars, umbrella holder, full stainless round bar racks (a MUST if you like to keep your gear clean and maintained, super easy clean up).

As for temps, I run my exhaust stack open about an inch and Advanced AirFlow gate (inside outlet for smoke) open about 20% and I keep my probe at the top of the cooker where it will be hottest. I run mine at 250-275 at the top and the lower level will be about 25 degrees cooler with this setup, using a CyberQ with a 25 CFM fan. I also have the T-Maze in the firebox. If there was anything I would add to it, it would be probe ports.

Absolutely love this cooker.

I have posted pics of my Pint here a bit, but here's another. I use my for comps and she is a rock solid cooker. Upgrades I put on mine, most importantly were the angled legs. I have 6 inch angled legs with 8 inch wheels, this widens the stance out and keeps it much more stable when rolling it at comps on uneven ground.

I also put on the upgraded stainless bars, umbrella holder, full stainless round bar racks (a MUST if you like to keep your gear clean and maintained, super easy clean up).

As for temps, I run my exhaust stack open about an inch and Advanced AirFlow gate (inside outlet for smoke) open about 20% and I keep my probe at the top of the cooker where it will be hottest. I run mine at 250-275 at the top and the lower level will be about 25 degrees cooler with this setup, using a CyberQ with a 25 CFM fan. I also have the T-Maze in the firebox. If there was anything I would add to it, it would be probe ports.

Absolutely love this cooker.

That thing is very nice! Thanks for the input. Does anyone have any feedback on cooking hot, 300-325ish?

It will cook wherever you want it to. I have done hot and fast runs, no issue. Pretty conservative on fuel consumption as well. Humphreys are built like tanks, not welded seams like safes, but roll cages, insulated and skinned. I have seen one that fell of a truck on the highway and was re-skinned good as new. As for temps, I have run mine up much higher than that when I was playing with bbq pizza stones. Oh and I prefer the slide out water pan option, I don't use water much, I put foiled fire brick in mine.

It will cook wherever you want it to. I have done hot and fast runs, no issue. Pretty conservative on fuel consumption as well. Humphreys are built like tanks, not welded seams like safes, but roll cages, insulated and skinned. I have seen one that fell of a truck on the highway and was re-skinned good as new. As for temps, I have run mine up much higher than that when I was playing with bbq pizza stones. Oh and I prefer the slide out water pan option, I don't use water much, I put foiled fire brick in mine.

Good to know. I just got off the phone with them and the customer service was top notch also.

Right on, Chad and Nicole are two of the nicest people to work with, I have nothing but great experiences with them.

Just saw this thread.

Bought a previously owned Pint back in April. I really enjoy it.

Pros
Built like a tank
Looks very good
Temps are steady
Uses very little charcoal
Loads of space (I have 4 racks)

Cons
HEAVY to move! (I have a dolly and casters attached which makes it easier)

Some other operating tips
Depending on where you set the advanced airflow panel there will be a 25 degree difference or so from top to bottom, more if you use pans until it gets settled. I don't see this as a con and can easily be used to your advantage once you map out the cooker

Also seems to cook a bit hotter towards the back and a little slower towards the door. I put my briskets in with the point all the way to the back of the cooker to take advantage of this and keep my MMs away from the back for this also.

All in all I really enjoy my pint

Just saw this thread.

Bought a previously owned Pint back in April. I really enjoy it.

Pros
Built like a tank
Looks very good
Temps are steady
Uses very little charcoal
Loads of space (I have 4 racks)

Cons
HEAVY to move! (I have a dolly and casters attached which makes it easier)

Some other operating tips
Depending on where you set the advanced airflow panel there will be a 25 degree difference or so from top to bottom, more if you use pans until it gets settled. I don't see this as a con and can easily be used to your advantage once you map out the cooker

Also seems to cook a bit hotter towards the back and a little slower towards the door. I put my briskets in with the point all the way to the back of the cooker to take advantage of this and keep my MMs away from the back for this also.

All in all I really enjoy my pint

Great to know, thank you very much!

I've got the Pint Plus model on order. Can't wait!

Curious how you guys set up your competition cook on the Pint (or any other Humphrey's model). Is it just about timing?

I've got the Pint Plus model on order. Can't wait!

Curious how you guys set up your competition cook on the Pint (or any other Humphrey's model). Is it just about timing?

A rundown on what I do. By no means is it perfect

I do 3 meats on the pint (Chicken, Butts, Brisket). Butts and Brisket go on early in the AM (around 1-3 AM depending) at 250*. They are off between 9-10 AM usually. Then chicken goes on around 1015-1030 on the top rack which is closer to 275*. I'll usually kick the temp up on the fan at this point to give the chicken some more heat.

Space really isn't an issue for me since I've got the 4 racks.

A rundown on what I do. By no means is it perfect

I do 3 meats on the pint (Chicken, Butts, Brisket). Butts and Brisket go on early in the AM (around 1-3 AM depending) at 250*. They are off between 9-10 AM usually. Then chicken goes on around 1015-1030 on the top rack which is closer to 275*. I'll usually kick the temp up on the fan at this point to give the chicken some more heat.

Space really isn't an issue for me since I've got the 4 racks.

Thanks. Where are your ribs in this process? Separate smoker? Is that a time thing or space constraint even with the 4 racks?

I can do a whole comp on four racks in mine too, no issue at all. By the time chicken goes on the big meats are out of there and resting anyway. I do two butts, one brisket and two racks of ribs, the chicken is in a half pan. Butts are in half pans and brisket in a full pan.

While you can do all 4 meats in one, adding cold ribs while you big meats are close to finishing is not ideal . I did this for a year and now much happier running two pits

I use a pint for the big meat and then the chicken after they are off. I have a battlebox for the ribs. From time to time with stubborn big meats I need to switch things around a bit as I don't was the chicken dripping on the big meats. They are great cookers. The pint which is about close to a BWS Extreme party weights in at over 300 pounds v the BWS at 180. Sort of good news/bad news.....the BWS is much easier to move around. I now have the Humphries permanently mounted on my trailer

Back