Narrowed it down to 4

mowin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Lang
Meadow Creek
Bubba grills.
Johnson smokers.

Lang, Meadow Creek, and Johnson would be a patio model due to the cost.
The bubba would be a trailer model.

It's taken me 3 weeks to narrow it down.

I would really look at Shirley Fabrication - make an amazing product that will last a lifetime.

I would really look at Shirley Fabrication - make an amazing product that will last a lifetime.

Just got a email from him earlier. 19 month wait.

I'm glad he's busy, and has lots of work, but that's a excessive wait for a smoker.

The ones mentioned are top notch units that will last a lifetime also.

I can narrow it down to 3 or 1. Do you need a trailer model?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Just got a email from him earlier. 19 month wait.

I'm glad he's busy, and has lots of work, but that's a excessive wait for a smoker.

The ones mentioned are top notch units that will last a lifetime also.

Thats an absurd wait. Should just stop taking order at that point till they can catch up. Thats almost triple the wait of some of the best builders out there. I just talked to Gator about a rather basic 20x40 and was told 2 -3 months.

I like the Meadow Creek best out of your choices., they also come with SS grates which is nice.

Personally I would drop Lang off your list. Mine choices would be.
Shirley Fabrication, if you can wait.
Meadow Creek i loved mine.....
Lone star grillz if you don't need the reverse flow.

I wouldn't buy any without stainless grates.
JMHO

Thats an absurd wait. Should just stop taking order at that point till they can catch up. Thats almost triple the wait of some of the best builders out there. I just talked to Gator about a rather basic 20x40 and was told 2 -3 months.

Ah, the effect is the same. I was willing to wait and would rather know I'm in line rather than "I wonder when they'll start taking orders again". They all cost a lot of money and I wanted no regrets. I have what I need to get me by in the interim.

Personally I would drop Lang off your list. Mine choices would be.
Shirley Fabrication, if you can wait.
Meadow Creek i loved mine.....
Lone star grillz if you don't need the reverse flow.

I wouldn't buy any without stainless grates.
JMHO

^^Pstores has it spot on!! Chris at LSG is about 4 months out. I love RF but I'm thinking about traditional flow when it's properly designed and executed.

It's always funny. A guy come on..says I've researched and narrowed it down to these,,,give me feedback.

Everyone throws out their favorite and ignore what the OP says. Next thing someone will come along and say build a UDS.

Lang is a great smoker but the quality control has slipped and the welds are sloppy. Having said that it's still a great smoker that will last forever.

Meadow Creek is top notch with fit and finish. They cook great but they are higher priced for the same size vs their competitors.

I don't know much about Bubba Grills.

Johnson has a great reputation and there are some guys on this site that love them.

Look for features and size vs cost vs wait time and what is available in your area. None of the ones you've mentioned will steer you wrong.

Guarantee your friends and family will love the que coming off any of them.

Johnson Smokers was the second one on my list. Shirley Fab is my first. I was quoted 18 months last month. Get in line.

But from these 4, I'll go with the most expensive T-Pit you could afford from Johnson Smokers. I've seen it in action and it's very efficient, like an upgrade to reverse flow.

Last edited:
Ah, the effect is the same. I was willing to wait and would rather know I'm in line rather than "I wonder when they'll start taking orders again". They all cost a lot of money and I wanted no regrets. I have what I need to get me by in the interim.

Yeah, me too. I knew with Johnson Smokers I would have that "what if" feeling. Plus no insulated firebox kind of sealed the deal for me. I like efficiency, but kind of ironic with the 18 month wait.

I am waiting and in que for a shirley but i don't think i would have waited for them to take my order. That was the pit that i wanted and figured waiting a year was better than having "i wish i had waited" in my head.

That oughta Tell ya something right there.......I bet them other builders Wish they could Book orders that Deep. Nuttin wrong with the other Top builders but if people are willing to send a deposit knowing it's 18 months out then that just shows what a Great product they put out - and Shirley Should keep on taking them orders. :heh:

Last edited:
It's always funny. A guy come on..says I've researched and narrowed it down to these,,,give me feedback.

Everyone throws out their favorite and ignore what the OP says. Next thing someone will come along and say build a UDS.

Lang is a great smoker but the quality control has slipped and the welds are sloppy. Having said that it's still a great smoker that will last forever.

Meadow Creek is top notch with fit and finish. They cook great but they are higher priced for the same size vs their competitors.

I don't know much about Bubba Grills.

Johnson has a great reputation and there are some guys on this site that love them.

Look for features and size vs cost vs wait time and what is available in your area. None of the ones you've mentioned will steer you wrong.

Guarantee your friends and family will love the que coming off any of them.

I just bought a Lang 48 and the welds are flawless on 90% of the rig and the other 10% are just fine. To say the quality has slipped is probably not an accurate statement.

Langs are workhorses and put out awesome product. I will never not hane a Lang in my stable.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not a comp cooker, and not a caterer.
Just a guy who likes to cook and smoke meats for myself and family/friend.

I do like the mobility of the trailer. I will be taking whatever unit I get to some family functions.
I would also like it big enough to fit a 65# hog.

Those of you willing to wait the year and a half for a rig, that's fine. I'm not willing to wait. Heck, I might not be around in a yr to even see the pit.

The bubba is the 250r on a 3x8 trailer. The only gripe I have, is no rib box on this unit. I'd have to step up to the 5x8 trailer, and it just gets too expensive.

The Shirley wasn't much cheaper, and shipping wasn't added in yet.

Back