• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A Peek at my Turkey

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
TurkeyTeaser.jpg

I'm shooting a video this afternoon on how to cook a turkey on a Kamado Joe and this thing is looking amazing so far! I injected it with a melted butter mixture that has some garlic and onion powder in it. I uses some Montreal Chicken under and over the skin and I just basted it with some of that leftover butter/seasoning mixture. I quartered a large onion and smashed some cloves of garlic to stuff inside the bird along with some sprigs of fresh thyme...

It's smellin' good around here :)

Sounds like a perfect turkey!

Did you brine?
What temp are you cooking at?

Looks great JM.

Sounds like a perfect turkey!

Did you brine?
What temp are you cooking at?

Looks great JM.

No brine since this is a turkey that is pre-inejected with the 'solution.' I'm cooking at 350°.

I actually called Butterball's hotline last week to talk to them about brining. They offer a brine recipe on their website and I was curious about brining a bird that has already been injected. Their brine recipe is light on salt so I figured it might not be a great idea. They told me that their turkeys that have been injected don't need to be brined. They said that brining it with their recipe, however, was OK but the drippings would need to be diluted a little bit if making gravy from them because of the extra salt content.

I haven't locked down a local source for a truly fresh turkey yet. When I do, I'll brine for sure.

It's looking good! I just can't get myself to do on this close to turkey day.

I wouldn't normally do it either but I'm making a video for the Kamado Joe Cooking Channel on YouTube so I'll be doing another one for the family on Thanksgiving...

I wouldn't normally do it either but I'm making a video for the Kamado Joe Cooking Channel on YouTube so I'll be doing another one for the family on Thanksgiving...

That's awesome!

You'll post the link I'm sure??

That is looking great. Nicely cooked to this point, I need to get a turkey lined up

Back