• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribs burning on UDS. ANY IDEAS??

georgiasmoke

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I've been having an issue with my ribs burning on the bottom while on my UDS. I've changed things up and still having issues, here's what I do, I cook at 250, flip every hr and now I'm wrapping only in butcher paper with no sugar or butter. The ribs are roughly 15" above the coals and I go about an hr and 45 before I wrap. Some ppl have suggested a heat diverter but won't that take away from the flavor you get from cooking directly over the coals? Any ideas is greatly appreciated!

Some ppl have suggested a heat diverter but won't that take away from the flavor you get from cooking directly over the coals? Any ideas is greatly appreciated!

No, the same smoke is rising, the ceramic or steel plate (whichever you choose) just evens the heat in the cooking process. It will absorb the heat and then release it in a even manner keeping a more consistent temperature in the UDS.

^^^I agree. Unless you are referring to the flavor of the fat dripping on the coals.

Yeah Paul, I'm talking about the flavor you get from all the grease falling on the coals

I use a holey pizza pan. Best of both worlds. Find a pizza pan that fits but leaves room around the edges.

I see the "holey" pan as blended heat. It's the perfect middle ground between direct and indirect and still lets some drippings come through.

I'm with the 15" being too close maybe? From the top of my basket to my single grate, it's 21 or 22 inches. Is 7 inches a big thing? Not sure.

If the distance is no big thing, then the pizza pan diverter with holes might be of help.

20" from coals to Meat is about a minimum. When you get close it gets like grilling. add a plate a couple of inches under your meat and you want burn as easily. QUESTION... What temp is your smoker when you burn the meat?

Cut your rib racks in half. Thats what I did, but I hang mine. That's halved chicken in the UDS, but you get the idea. My vent holes are in the rim of the barrel, I use 3/8" rebar in 1/2" holes, and block them with 3/4" ceramic magnets.

100_44532_zps24b05cf6.jpg

When cooking ribs in a UDS I hang the meatier end down first until I like the bark then take them out and re-hang them with the small end down. When that end looks good I wrap the lower end with foil and punch a drip hole in the bottom of the foil. Then cook and drink margaritas until done.
Works well for me.

When cooking ribs in a UDS I hang the meatier end down first until I like the bark then take them out and re-hang them with the small end down. When that end looks good I wrap the lower end with foil and punch a drip hole in the bottom of the foil. Then cook and drink margaritas until done.
Works well for me.

The mistake I made, was back when I made my fire basket. It's a foot tall, on 3" legs sitting in an ash pan. When I hang a full rack of spares, the bottom of the ribs, are inside the fire basket. No bueno.

I've given serious thought, of cutting up a extra barrel I have on hand, and making a 2 ft section, into a removable rib extension that would also work when I use the barrel to cold smoke sausage. but, since I put the grill grate in once I wrap them being able to cook 8-10 racks would do me not good, since only 2 fit in nicely. Never thought about hanging the racks once wrapped, duh. How do you secure the foil packs poke them thru the folded foil?

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any definitive taste difference when grease drippings flare back up into the meat. I use a 2 handle wok filled 1/4 with sand and then line it with foil and add water, (the water won't boil out this way) then set it on top of my fire basket. There's plenty enough air flow and circulation. Easy clean up afterwards...dump the water/grease....replace the foil. Just an idea to consider.

6672-300.jpg

^^^This^^^

I'm with the 15" being too close maybe? From the top of my basket to my single grate, it's 21 or 22 inches. Is 7 inches a big thing? Not sure.

If the distance is no big thing, then the pizza pan diverter with holes might be of help.

When I've done ribs in my mini wsm (which is a very short distance) I cook naked till the outside looks good then just lay a piece of foil under the bones till they're tender. The foil blocks the direct heat and lets them finish perfect. Definitely lots of way to skin a cat

Back