• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trimming Chicken BEFORE Competition

hogzgonewild

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Is this allowed for a KCBS competition? If it is, can you then put them in a ziplock bag for inspection? Do you need to keep the label from the original packaging?

Thanks,
Hogzgonewild

Is this allowed for a KCBS competition? If it is, can you then put them in a ziplock bag for inspection? Do you need to keep the label from the original packaging?

Thanks,
Hogzgonewild

Perfectly legal. I trim at home and show up with a zip lock bag. I never bring the labels.

Oh hell yes. Keep it clean and cool in a controlled environment, vs. trimming it out in the field? No question which we prefer. We've only trimmed at the contest site when very pressed for time during the week prior.

We have only been asked to bring food labels a couple of times, and that was from the local health department, not a KCBS requirement.

ditto for me, trim at home and put in zip lock bag. never been asked for lable. do they tell you in advance if they want to see the lable?:confused:

Yes, at the contests where labels were required, teams were advised in advance. When you're dealing with an HD that's that puckered, using a separate cooler for chicken makes them very happy.

I've never yet figured out how they can determine that the label you show them actually came on the meat product in the bag, but whatevs.

yessir! I have read where some comps ask for labels, but they did not ask for them during inspection. We have only took them with us a few times. After not being asked for them, we toss them now.
We used to trim at comps and it is just so darn nasty and takes so much time, we do at home before we go.

So, I take it this applies to all meat, such as brisket?

If you can find a bag big enough to put it in. That is the only reason I don't do brisket and pork. I vac pak my chicken. Make sure the zip bag does not leak. They almost made me throw out all my meats do to cross contamination at a comp. Had to show nothing else was leaking.

If you can find a bag big enough to put it in. That is the only reason I don't do brisket and pork. I vac pak my chicken. Make sure the zip bag does not leak. They almost made me throw out all my meats do to cross contamination at a comp. Had to show nothing else was leaking.

I vac pack my chicken as well - guards against leaks and keeps it fresher.

Target sales big bags perfect for brisket and pork butt. That is the only place that I have found them. Get the XXL size. They are pricey at $5 for 3 but it is well worth it.

Definitely trim at home. All of it. A 2 gallon Ziploc is usually big enough for my briskets and butts. And since I debone the chicken thighs, a one gallon easily holds two dozen thighs and a simple sandwich bag holds the scraped skins.

Never had any problems whatsoever.

Definitely trim at home. All of it. A 2 gallon Ziploc is usually big enough for my briskets and butts. And since I debone the chicken thighs, a one gallon easily holds two dozen thighs and a simple sandwich bag holds the scraped skins.

Never had any problems whatsoever.

The best bags I've found are the 2.5 gallon HEFTY one zip storage/freezer bags (they are the same style as Ziploc but just Hefty brand). They do not sell them at any of the supermarkets in the area. The only place I can find them are at BJ's.

The best bags I've found are the 2.5 gallon HEFTY one zip storage/freezer bags (they are the same style as Ziploc but just Hefty brand). They do not sell them at any of the supermarkets in the area. The only place I can find them are at BJ's.

I have been looking for the 2.5gal bags. The only place I have found them are in a local butcher shop in GA. I go down there several times a year, but not often enough without having to buy all they have which isn't much most of the time. Where I live I have an very hard time just finding 2gal bags. Ergo, I still trim my brisket @ the comp. most of the time.

I found a pack of HUGE Ziplock bags at Walmart last night. They are probably 4-5 gallon and have the "Double Zip." It was 5 bucks for 4 of them, but I'll do anything to be able to prep at home.

I prep every thing at home and cryo-suck it. There is NO WAY I would EVER do it at a comp again.

P.S. I use the make your own cryo-suck bags and have never really had a problem with the size. I also keep a couple of labels in the trailer in case they ask. For all they know, the chicken was frozen since April.

I know a few folks who trim thier chicken, sometimes for more than one comp, ahead of time and freeze it. Nothing illegal about it. I've pre-trimmed and done it on site, and if you have the time, pre-trimming is the way to go for sure!

Last year had a comp where I was prepping at home, and opened a two pack of butts, labled bone-in. Opened and found both had been boned!:mad: Fine for sausage, not so much for a comp! Had to run out and get two more at the Sams around the corner, would not have been able to make that save at the comp!

What I do is I got the clear heavy duty can liners at Home Depot and double bag everything. They are 55 gallon so there is more than enough room

Back