• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Light/Easy to clean charcoal grill suggestion

Peter B

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I live in NY and during the winter I do my outdoor cooking on a cheap no frills charcoal grill from Home Depot. The only reason being that it is easy to clean, unlike my custom smoker and Argentinian grill. I spend 60-90 minutes cleaning either one of those down after every cook and it just isn't enjoyable in the cold NY winter weather.

Anyway, this cheap-O grill is falling apart and I was thinking about replacing it with a nicer quality grill. The requirements being that it needs to be easy to clean, and easy to move back and forth from my patio to my lawn, so it can't be too heavy. I also want to be able to smoke and grill on it, but it will mostly be for grilling.

Anyway, I was thinking about either a Hasty Bake or the Weber summit charcoal grill. I really like the Assassin Grill but I think it will be too heavy to roll on top of my lawn.

Are there any other grills out there that are worth consideration?

Thank you in advance.

The M1 looks really really nice. I just wonder if it will sink into the grass at 350 pounds when I need to move to the lawn from time to time.

How about a Kettle? You can do all of the above with one.....and they couldn't be easier to clean.

Edit----I just saw the post above mine....Eric D is a smart man!

If I bought a Weber, it would be the Charcoal Summit Center. The more I research it the more impressive it becomes. If I got a kettle I would be left wanting the summit charcoal center.

However, at that price point it just isn't a slam dunk decision for me.

If you don't want to spend the cash on a Summit you might look a the Weber Performer Deluxe.

The M1 looks really really nice. I just wonder if it will sink into the grass at 350 pounds when I need to move to the lawn from time to time.
Yes you definitely are not rolling an M1 through the grass and after the cost of shipping you will be well over 2K, it is an awesome grill and smoker though. :grin:

If you like the Assassin grill call Jeff and ask what could be done to make the pit easier to roll through grass, they do customize so anything is possible.

I'm not saying it's throw away money by ANY stretch... However, if it were my money, I wouldn't buy the Summit "center"... The table and trash can isn't worthbthe extra money! That's why I bought the "plain" charcoal Summit.

I looked at ceramics for a long time and when weighing (no pun intended) out all of the pitfalls of ceramics, I decided I didn't want to deal with warranty issues (oh I know the warranty is great! they will replace broken parts). I landed on the Summit charcoal....

Just my two cents..

I think the Hasty Bake would be a great option. Can grill or smoke, no problem. It is also very mobile and easy to clean. There are several models to choose from, depending on size and budget requirements if that is necessary.

I am fascinated by the M1. It's pricey but it looks like a quality and versatile cooker. Thank you so much for recommending this.

+1 on either M1 or Assassin.

I don't think you want to be rollin that M1 over grass but that is the best grill I've seen. From what I've heard about the Assassin cookers, you could prob get custom wheels. Both are worth the $.

On the cheap, get an Akorn. My wife surprised me with one (back then I didn't want it) but I've been impressed for the value. It's 3yrs old, been left in the rain a couple times and still holdin up. Tough to beat for under $300

I am fascinated by the M1. It's pricey but it looks like a quality and versatile cooker. Thank you so much for recommending this.

You would NOT regret the M1. I have one...trust me :)

Back