Church event advice needed.

Wallaby

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well I have stepped way out of my comfort zone. have agreed to cook for Church Valintine day dance. Rib eye steaks, chicken of some kind, potato and veggie side. About 80 people. Cooking on our commercial gas range. Any ideas?

Mike

If you are cooking at the church you will have too many people in the way.

We have a gass grill to use:doh: but my Weber is not big enough to do charcoal. Thought that stove top would let me sear 8 or more at a time then into the oven to finish. Crowd control is up to someone else.

80 ribeyes! That offering plate must over-runneth. :)

I'd do exactly what you already have in mind. Sear them good in batches and off to the oven to finish. You'd be better off with a big charcoal smoker for the chicken imho.

Does anyone have access to a large cooker? The MWR often times has large smokers that can be rented by active duty or retired military if that's an option anywhere near you.

80 ribeyes! That offering plate must over-runneth. :)

I'd do exactly what you already have in mind. Sear them good in batches and off to the oven to finish. You'd be better off with a big charcoal smoker for the chicken imho.

Does anyone have access to a large cooker? The MWR often times has large smokers that can be rented by active duty or retired military if that's an option anywhere near you.

I agree with jasonjax. See if you can find something large to rent or borrow. Since you are doing ribeyes, if you have room on the church property maybe you could gets some cinder blocks and grates and make you a big temporary pit. Build it long enough you can have an area that is hot for searing and another that allows you to put several steaks on at around 250 to 300 grate temp.

80 steaks is a lot for a small grill and stove top maybe youcould rent a large grill

I have been involved in many steak frys and they all use large charcoal grills, I'm talking 6 foot by 4 foot times 2 min. Then you have them cook their own steak.

Well Brother I sure would prefer to show up with Butts and Briskets already smoked
Pull em out of the cambro and offer pulled pork and slice the brisket right in front of em
They love seeing that

"thats the biggest Tri Tip I have ever seen" the lady said

Chicken baked in that oven works for me

I agree with Thom , pork butts the ideal meat for large crowd, also you wont have to satisfy the people on how they want their steaks.

How big is the commercial gas range again? How many ovens or cambro's might you have available? How much reliable help? Is service to be all at one seating? Is it really 80 rieyes and 80 chicken?

If you cannot get a larger charcoal grill, you can bake the ribeyes to around 120F, hold them in cambros, then fire up a flat top or griddle and sear them off to 135F for service. A lot depends on what you mean by a commercial range though. My church had a 8 burner with a 4 foot flat top and three ovens, I could easily do this job in that kitchen, of course, we had a 30 foot charcoal pit in the back too.

Back