Brisket freshness date

titan7

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Picked up a 12 lb Prime brisket on sat, it's packed date is 1/24, sell by date is 1/31. Can I age it more than 1/31 or is that not a good thing?

Thanks.

drybagsteak is about dry ageing. He is asking about wet ageing, I believe. The pack date is very ambiguous unless you can actually see the box the briskets came in. That would have the pack date. Without the correct pack date, I would cook within a couple days of the sell date.

Picked up a 12 lb Prime brisket on sat, it's packed date is 1/24, sell by date is 1/31. Can I age it more than 1/31 or is that not a good thing?

Thanks.

Won't hurt a thing. Put it on the bottom shelf of the frig and leave it there for a couple of weeks. It's called wet aging. I've gone up to a month, but it must be in the cryovac. When you take it out, rinse it off and do your thing..

Since its a prime, you really don't have to wet age it. If you just want to hang on to it for a week Or so before you have a chance to smoke it, there's no problem.

Is it still in the original cryovac?

Marty is right. You really need to know the date from the carton to be 100% sure. But, I routinely wet age brisket 45 days after the pack date with no problems.

Ignore the Sell by, best by or use by dates. Stores put those on based on their policy, not based on anything real :-D

Thx guys, I am going to smoke it on sat. Was just wondering, it is still in the cryo wrap. Prime brisket at costco for 4.49 per lb. not bad around these parts.

Back