CBJ class with pron

jamaicamon

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This might need to be moved but started here since i'm sure some people might wonder how to be a KCBS BBQ judge.

I took a CBJ (certified bbq judge) class today in Snow Hill MD. Since it was a judging class and not a competition I was able to take some pics.

I hit the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at 7AM. Rain and cold travel, but no worries.

8ZIGSjP.jpg

Made it!

JnBVsgB.jpg

Jambo cooking like a boss in a cold rain..

tRjV01d.jpg

Lang had a big cover and some blankets..

ysqZJ64.jpg

Good turnout

9oe8p3L.jpg

BRCMgCR.jpg

My seat..

81hYx4J.jpg

After about 3 hours of talking BBQ it’s time to eat!
Food was cooked by Chix Swine and Bovine! Nice

Chicken

O5bHhYI.jpg

I got 2 pieces of breast meat since you are not allow to shake the meat to separate. The guy on the end got no breast. The chicken was really good. They used regular sauce like KC and Jack Daniels.

Ribs

apC1a44.jpg

wHoa2TX.jpg

Ribs were tough due to being undercooked. Taste was ok.

k2P8bSC.jpg

Pork

Some of the best pulled pork I have ever tasted. The guy next to me gave it all 5’s which is average. It’s a crap shoot apparently.

zsmFGNo.jpg

vvBwGzA.jpg

Brisket

KK9rpIX.jpg

DlZIaLq.jpg

Slices were good but the point meat chunk was hard to eat.

Final part!

[ame="http://youtu.be/sBFUPhii4P4"]http://youtu.be/sBFUPhii4P4[/ame]

Headed back over the Bay for a drink!!! Tomorrow we cook:mrgreen::mrgreen:

5Ut7D0X.jpg

Thanks for looking! Cant wait to judge this Spring!

While this is more Comp related, it would also be nice for everyone in general to see what the process is like.

Bob

Brings back fond memories of the CBJ class I took last year in Hasselt, Belgium. Thnks for posting.

Great post. Memories came to me from last May in Torino where I took my class. But I was forbidden to take any pics. ??????? :shock:

I'm jealous. There aren't many that can say they had a comp class cooked by a KCBS Board of Director member

So we have a KCBS BOD member allowing pictures to be taken of propriety content and giving personal opinions of what excellence in BBQ should be??
Ed

jamaicamon, Did you ask why everything have to be sauced? Congrats on taking the course.

In my CBJ class the rib box at my table had two that were NOT cut through. This was intentional to test us...., there were 6 in the box, and 5 guys at the table so everyone got one.

I think we had one illegal garnish too.

I would love to take one of these classes. Called to sign up for one last year, cancelled due to lack of interest... :sad:

So we have a KCBS BOD member allowing pictures to be taken of propriety content and giving personal opinions of what excellence in BBQ should be??
Ed

Its my understanding that the board member cooked the meat. He didn't give any personal opinions about the way they should judge. Trust me....if you've ever cooked for a class you don't have time to talk to anyone cause your prepping a crap pile of boxes.

The class was run by a contest organizer with KCBS Reps......your beef should be with them and not the cook

Back