I keep practicing my BBQ Technique - Ribs, Brisket, Pork, Chicken

Thank you all!

Since this BBQ thing has begun, I keep eating at BBQ joints, all the local ones, and wherever I travel.

The pulled pork is always tender, but I just don't ever see much bark at all. I LOVE MRS BROWN and she is a mandatory guest at every BBQ meal! And the pork is often long strings, which can make it more work to eat. So I've been making sure I get a good bark, and sometimes I'll split the Butt so I get even more Bark to share.

With this penchant for more Beautiful Bark, I've tried to not move the meat at all once I put it on the pit. Every move means more Mrs. Brown falling off into the abyss...NO!!!!!

I make my rub, mostly using Meathead's Memphis Dust for the pork, and apply it heavy.

I find that in a lot of places BBQ chicken means a very-much-cooked-in-an-oven, nice and tender chicken, with BBQ sauce on it. That's nice and all...if you are getting a roticerie chicken at the grocery store on the way home from work. But NOT if you are BBQing it on the pit! So, I'm doing an oil-herb rub for chicken, again, Meathead from AmazingRibs leading me on here. It came out nice on the WSM's. But the new Offset stick burner has amped up the chicken! Cooked theses on closer to the firebox side, about between 275 and 300 degrees, until internal temp was near 200. Can't wait to practice more with the Chicken!

Isn't this fun!!!

The rotating Pig Cooker is going to be so cool when I finish it!

I just stumbled onto a pic with the dryer all loaded up with Ribs!

IMG_7043.JPG

Keep on keepin' on man, food looks outstanding and you get massive kudos for your ingenuity!!

Mcgrew6188, I foil only Brisket so far. I love bark way too much to foil my ribs, or butts. And I'm going to keep practicing on brisket to get a good cook on it without foiling as well. I've been trimming too much fat off to do a long cook with no foil.

I cook between 225 and 250 (chicken higher, if possible).

Listening to a lot of the brethren, and the competition peeps, there is a lot to be said for foiling and adding butter, agave, honey etc in that process. But I haven't done that much, and for doing 10 racks of St. Louis in my WSM at a time, I'm not sure how I could foil and cook that many at a time.

This BBQ thing is fun! I was having a tough day today, so I stopped and got 10 chicken thighs, and they are on the offset at 300 RIGHT NOW!

Back