So Cal Bash 2016?

Alrighty - today's update:

SoCal Brethren Bash is Saturday September 3. "Official" time is 2 or 3, but anyone is welocme to come earlier if they need to get to cooking or just want to hang out - or if you want some breakfast by Bigmista - just using that time as something folks can refer to. It will go until we are done.

The next day, Sunday the 4th, will be the day of our annual family pig roast and all Brethren are welocme to that as well. That one will probably start a little later in the day, like 4. We got a house full of Brethren doing the 2-fer, so it's basically a 2 day party.

Current roll call:

Phubar
Padawan
Frognot
Evil-g
SirPorkalot (yeah dude, you gotta do South and North!)
SmokinJohn & wife
campdude
Moose & the Missus
SoCalWjs & wife
Tonybel (2fer deal plus young 'uns)
ssv3
Miike_Twangnzer
Silverfinger
tonyjohnson619 + 1
Bigmista
DUBBAGA +1
lwdbo1
Leftwnger (I'm putting you on the "yes" list 'cause of the pie)
Fillmore Farmer
hachi-roku fan
TomB + 1

maybe

Big Brother Smoke
DerHusker
NorthwestBBQ

29 yes's and 3 maybe's

New folks - don't be shy - we were all new at some point and we'd love to see you. Holla!

As for food - here's what I'm seeing - AND - anybody who wants to change their mind, it's all good - we're gonna eat great no matter what! this is what I gathered from posts and pm's:

(SmokinJohn)
Some wings for smoking
mac and cheese (the original recipe with bacon added).
mac and cheese II (depending on the arrival of hatches and the taste).
BWOR (Bacon wrapped Onion rings - I will prep them onsite)
Marinated tomatoes and onions

(Moose)
Pig Candy Cinnamon Pecan Rolls

(Bigmista)
fattie gravy, eggs and cheesy grits. Maybe some burnt endz later on

(DUBBAGA)
Pork belly
Prize Winning Orange Cake!

(campdude)
carne deshebrada or chili verde, tortillas and all the fixins' for tacos, a dessert? (YES!), pickles

(frognot)
Smoked bourbon pecan pie

(TonyJohnson601)
bluefin tuna

(gtr)
lamb

(silverfinger)
beef ribs

(Fillmore Farmer)
Dragon's Breath Onions
maybe brisket

(TomB)
some sides pasta salad and stuffed shrooms and a big cooler full of beverages

We are closing in on it!

PM's with address will be going out this weekend.

So - in case any of y'all have time to wander around that weekend and wanna check out some cool spots:

Surfa's -` restaurant supply & gourmet shop. If you need pans, utensils, spelt flour, different percentages of chocolate, wide selection of olive oil, vinegars, spices, a commercial range, etc. This is one of my favorite places. I go here all the time.

http://www.surfasonline.com/#chefsparadise

Copenhagen Pastry - could be the best Danish pastries you will ever eat. I have been told by a few different Scandinavians that this place is legit, and if it wasn't, I wouldn't care anyway. I probably love this stuff as much as this bakery's butter and sugar suppliers love getting their monthly payments from here.

http://www.copenhagenpastry.com

El Camaguey - Brazilian/South American Market
(yes they have picanha - just thought phubar would like to know that. I know I would like phubar to know that. :hungry:)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-camaguey-meat-market-los-angeles

A&S Halal Market - Small butcher shop there, curries & other southeast Asian, Middle Eastern, Turkish, etc. grocery items. They carry our favorite pita bread (check the expiration dates!)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/a-and-s-market-los-angeles

India Sweets & Spices - Indian grocery items of all sorts, including shampoo, toothpaste, etc. if you feel so inclined. A little bit of a 3rd world vibe, which I like.

http://www.indiacafeculvercity.com

Palms Market - good ole' Hispanic grocery store and carniceria.

http://palmssupermarket.wix.com/1

^^^^^
You were reading my mind about the shops.

For our non socalians, if there's something you want in the spice/sauce area that you can legally take back, please say so, and let's see what we can do.

Food wise, Greg forgot in and out, and....tommy's...

Btw
I am near an argentine butcher, so although you can't send it home, you could try morcilla.
The northgate markets have squash blossoms and nopales and whole octopi.
The world markets have bhararat and vadouvan.

^^^^^
You were reading my mind about the shops.

For our non socalians, if there's something you want in the spice/sauce area that you can legally take back, please say so, and let's see what we can do.

Food wise, Greg forgot in and out, and....tommy's...

Btw
I am near an argentine butcher, so although you can't send it home, you could try morcilla.
The northgate markets have squash blossoms and nopales and whole octopi.
The world markets have bhararat and vadouvan.

Any chance they have Picanha? Been wanting that one for awhile. Looked a few places w/o success and to scared to try to butcher it myself...

@Phu:

Trade you a jar of the fluorescent pink marinade Greg brought home for a jar of blues hog Tennessee red and Original, if you haven't left yet.

@Phu:

Trade you a jar of the fluorescent pink marinade Greg brought home for a jar of blues hog Tennessee red and Original, if you haven't left yet.

This is the stuPh you're talking about. I love this stuPh!

Roast-Red-Pork.png

Can't get it over here. It did yield some interesting search results on Amazon - sports girdles and whatnot - I've never heard of a "seamless butt lifter" before. :noidea: Somehow "faja" is connected to "levanta cola". :shocked:

^^^you can borrow my glasses when you get here. :caked:

Roast-Red-Pork.png

Can't get it over here. It did yield some interesting search results on Amazon - sports girdles and whatnot - I've never heard of a "seamless butt lifter" before. :noidea: Somehow "faja" is connected to "levanta cola". :shocked:

:pound::laugh::laugh::pound:

:idea: Alright! I got it. Long time coming but I'm bringing the ground meat kabobs and the fixin's. :nod: I'll make and cook them at home before I head out so I don't have to drag my equipment with me.

Y0rSikBh.jpg

^^^They have picanha at El Camaguey market near my spot. It's in the list of places a couple of posts above.

Aw yes!!!
Bring on the picanha!...please select one with a nice half inch Phatcap or so.

@Phu:

I'll hook you up.
No Blues Hog for me...I can get it over here easily.
I'm not so really into the sweet sauces/glazes,I mostly use that kind of stuPh for comps and catering sometimes.
I'd rather have something less commercial...local stuPh.

Roast-Red-Pork.png

"Faja" means Phire..."Lobi" means Love in Surinam language.:thumb:

Aw yes!!!
Bring on the picanha!...please select one with a nice half inch Phatcap or so.

I'll hook you up.
No Blues Hog for me...I can get it over here easily.
I'm not so really into the sweet sauces/glazes,I mostly use that kind of stuPh for comps and catering sometimes.
I'd rather have something less commercial...local stuPh.

"Faja" means Phire..."Lobi" means Love in Surinam language.:thumb:

Thank you! Now I'm going to have to do some digging. Can't give you BigMista's rub; He'll probably do that....hmmmmm

Now I'll be thinking about kabobs all week. :bounce:

I just sent out address PM's. If I missed anybody, please let me know. And if you can't come, come anyway.

I gotta say I'm really looking forward to this! :whoo:

Oh - and Phubar - this is waiting for ya:

IMG_5610.jpg

And does Padawan know she's cooking risotto yet? Got a little sumthin' for her too. :heh:

IMG_5612.jpg

Last edited:
Can't wait. I'm hoping to be there between 8 and 9 and enjoy breakfast and the day (well, the whole weekend!). Looking forward to seeing the new rotiss in action. I'll make shredded beef and bring everything to put tacos together. I'll make some homemade refried beans too. I'll bring jars of my pickled jalapenos for Sat and Sun. I'll whip up a couple of desserts and bring a couple of cases of water for in between beers. If you need anything Greg, let me know ( PM or call).

Now I'll be thinking about kabobs all week. :bounce:

I just sent out address PM's. If I missed anybody, please let me know. And if you can't come, come anyway.

I gotta say I'm really looking forward to this! :whoo:

Oh - and Phubar - this is waiting for ya:

And does Padawan know she's cooking risotto yet? Got a little sumthin' for her too. :heh:

Hahaha!!!:becky:
Nice going G!
Makes me Pheel like home!:clap2:
Don't worry about the risotto...Padawan's got your back!

Only a Phew days lePht...2,5 days of work...landing somewhere around 15:00.
Washed my clothes,packing tomorrow.
Today aPhter work see if I can Phind some goodies to bring along.
I haven't Phorgot about the Chocomel,Faja Lobi and Shisado marinade GTR.:thumb:

Back