Brisket - UDS or kettle?

kevine

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm doing my first brisket this weekend, and was planning on using my UDS. However, I've read several posts and watched vids and several used kettles. I can maintain temp on both. Preference here?

This tells me you haven't used your UDS much? UDS with out a question. For the most part any using a kettle for something like that doesn't have a drum.

This tells me you haven't used your UDS much? UDS with out a question. For the most part any using a kettle for something like that doesn't have a drum.

That's my case I only have the kettle and it works good BUT if and when I build my UDS it'll be no question - UDS:thumb:

UDS for sure.

You *can* smoke on a kettle, but it's a lot more work.

I have both Keith. I prefer the Kettle.
Yea that's why i said most. I have both and if i didn't have my mini and Jimmy I probably would use the kettle sometimes just from a fuel savings perspective. Nothing like getting great fuel economy and cooking over hot fiery coals.

Yea that's why i said most. I have both and if i didn't have my mini and Jimmy I probably would use the kettle sometimes just from a fuel savings perspective. Nothing like getting great fuel economy and cooking over hot fiery coals.

I agree. I haven't used my Mini yet for a brisket cook yet, but it's coming. :thumb:

I have a UDS, 3 kettles and a mini. I prefer to use my kettle for small cooks for ease of setup. I can get it to hold temperature for 6-8 hours without issue, and I can usually finish my cook in that time frame (about 90%+ of the time it completes)

I also cook between 300-325 which is why I can finish most of my cooks within the 6-8 hour timeframe.

I have a UDS, 3 kettles and a mini. I prefer to use my kettle for small cooks for ease of setup. I can get it to hold temperature for 6-8 hours without issue, and I can usually finish my cook in that time frame (about 90%+ of the time it completes)

I also cook between 300-325 which is why I can finish most of my cooks within the 6-8 hour timeframe.
aawa I'm surprised you don't use your mini for those cooks. I use mine 80-90% of the time, not only does it put out the best food imo it's just so quick and easy to use....start the charcoal right in the charcoal basket, the best heat control, cooking over coals (if you're not using a terrapot), and easy cleanup, plus it also runs 9 hours @ 300*.

aawa I'm surprised you don't use your mini for those cooks. I use mine 80-90% of the time, not only does it put out the best food imo it's just so quick and easy to use....start the charcoal right in the charcoal basket, the best heat control, cooking over coals (if you're not using a terrapot), and easy cleanup, plus it also runs 9 hours @ 300*.

It is really sheer laziness for me as the reason I don't use my mini more. It is in my shed and I'm too farking lazy to pull it out. Where my kettles are patio dwellers.

I also tend to use the coals that are left from cooking the big pieces of meat, I will use to cook sides as well. This way I do not have to pull out the chimney or another kettle all over again to do the sides.

I have never used either, but, I just finished up my UDS and for a long cook like brisket I can't see why you wouldn't use it.

Looks like the UDS may be ahead. My reasons were similar to aawa's, laziness in having to pull the UDS out, setting up, etc. I've actually used it quite a bit, but when I did the post, I had just watched a couple videos of others doing brisket, and there just seemed to be quite a few using kettles, so I had to ask.

I will likely use my UDS. Not sure if I'm going to use a diffuser, since I'm going to have a foil pan on the lower grate with water. I know the steam will prevent a good bark, but I've had problems in the past with grease fires. Don't need to come home from church on Sunday with a completely blackened piece of expensive meat on the smoker, and having to explain to my wife and mother-in-law why we have to change our Easter dinner plans!

Thanks for all the input!

Back