PID controllers vs the rest? Smoker question

BigDaddyGoobz

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Ok here goes ... been reading various posts for a while and I think I'm ready to ask my question. (By the way I'm a pastor so making a long story short is difficult!)

I'm going to pull the trigger on a pellet smoker. Intrigued by the Traeger at first - but various reviews led me to think it's not for me. I really like a lot about the Rec Tec - I like the look and the PID controller (at least I think I do). I feel that it might be a tad small though.

That has led me to the Yoder YS640 or the Blaz'n Grillworks Gridiron. Both look well built and has the size I want. Similar in pricing.

My question really has more to do with the controllers. Blaz'n grill pro series has a PID controller that a reviewer has said is the same controller (or similar) to what is on the Memphis, Rec Tec and Louisiana pellet grills. Not exactly sure what the Yoder has, but from everything I've read many people are really happy with the Yoder. Actually it seems like a lot of Yoder users on this forum but anyway ...

My question - How much of a difference is there (if any) in the controllers? Is a PID controller really that much better? Does anyone know any specifics in the Yoder vs Blaz'n (or rec tec) controllers?

Sorry for the long post but I could use some help!

Thanks
Brian

I can't really help you with your question but I would check out the Pelletheads website. The whole site is pellet units with sub forums for each brand.

Lots of members with knowledge about pellet grills...more info than you need.

Back