Duck recipes and how to's

mikes1212

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been interested in trying duck on the smoker (or grill) and I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share some recipes and theories on cooking duck? The recipe can be for duck breast, whole duck, grilled or smoked.

Thank you for your advice and sharing your recipes, thoughts and experiences cooking duck, out on the grill/smoker!

Farmed ducks are very fatty, and unlike chicken and turkey, you can cook them less than well done. You can serve duck breast medium rare.

I have not had a lot of experience with farmed ducks, but wild ducks are outstanding in gumbo.

CD

Check out the Hunter, Angler, Gardner, Cook - Hank Shaw. His website honest-food.com has a bunch of amazing recipes and he just came out with a great book called Duck, Duck, Goose which holds an encyclopedia of more amazing recipes.

Cut duck breasts into cubes, cut onion and green pepper into cubes. Place onion, duck, then green pepper on a toothpick. Marinate in Dales Seasoning and place on grill. Cook till duck is medium rare. I also baste the Dales Seasoning while on the grill.

Wild duck is almost unedible, that is unless you make sausage with it.

Farm raised duck can be one of the greatest eating experiences

I raise ducks and one of my favorite ways to cook them is to smoke, then make gumbo... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171868

I smoke them at a fairly high temp. 300F or higher. Domestic ducks have a lot of fat, I use a rack and catch the drippings in a pan. I use the drippings in the gumbo too.

dfce26e6-5649-4e02-85f4-379f8fe77861_zps6ff93e75.jpg

save the smoked skin and make cracklins.. they are to die for.

4f0c4f13-7b83-46d3-84ed-95df7d6849cb_zpsf4a01513.jpg

some smoked duck and Andouille sausage gumbo with smoked duck skin cracklins..

f5e23591-bb9e-494f-b8db-6f7052ba4536_zpsc7866b3e.jpg

Just one more option.

Good luck with what ever you come up with!

Duckbreast:

-season with salt/pepper
-smoke for about 15-20 minutes
-grill Phat side down to render Phat and for crispy Phat

IMG_9046.jpg

I have eaten wild duck all my life and it is DEFINITELY not inedible. Chicken fried teal breast is one of my favorite things in life. IF you don't like the gamey flavor you can always soak them in buttermilk for a bit first. I love the wild flavor of them though..

Jeanie, is there anything you don't raise, hunt, fish, capture, cook, and eat? All looks delicious...

Everybody! Excellent replies, thank you! Any cook times that can be added would be great for reference.

I am going to buy some duck, in whichever form that's available (wild or not), breasts or whole duck, and use one of the recipes, and have a go at it. I have noted the advice given, and will keep it mind as I begin to cook. :biggrin1:

Back