temp probe advice....

Twisted T's Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
looking for some advice on good temp probes fellas, I am thinking wireless but I am basically open to all opinions .....

I have been having pretty good luck with my Maverick ET-733 for remote temp monitoring. I always check several spots with my Thermapen before pulling it though. Mine has always been within 3 degrees of the Thermapen. That being said I like my toys and just bought a Thermoworks TW-8060 with the high temp kit...will test it this weekend.

I would recommend the Thermoworks TW8060 two channel thermocouple. It uses K probes and is quite accurate. You also have a large selection of probes.
I also have a Thermoworks Chef Alarm which is quite accurate.
I also recommend the BBQ Guru DigiQ or CyberQ Wifi which have accurate probes.

You cannot go wrong with the Mavericks or Thermoworks gear. I use both and would not use anything else.

From what I have read, the Thermaworks are higher end, better quality and more $$$.

I have been using a Maverick ET-733 since February and have had no issues with it. I use it as a guide and then double check with my Thermapen prior to pulling. You need to be careful with the probes themselves and not get them wet at the connection between the cable and the probe, but I have not had an issue yet.

I used a Maverick for years without any issues.

I thought about the Thermoworks Bluetooth unit, but you are limited to the range of your smartphone.

I have since purchased a BBQ Guru DXII, it's not wireless but It is like having someone babysit the pit for you.

thanks a lot fellas, where can a brethern buy one of these ?any place local like koles , home depot, lowes, walmart ?

I have a Maverick ET-732 that is now little more than a ballpark gauge of internal temps. The pit probe is worthless (not the probe itself, but the input on the unit). It, along with the 4 replacement probes I bought trying to remedy a substandard product, is the worst BBQ related purchase I've made. If there is a chance you might accidentally look at your device funny (the apparent cause of my Maverick's failure), then I'd suggest saving up a few extra bucks and go with a Thermoworks product.

Unless, of course, you are also interested in a controller, too, in which case you've opened a whole other can of worms.

Looks like 90% of Thermapen at a fraction of the cost

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fastest-Accurate-High-performance-Professional-Thermometer/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/"]Amazon.com: 100% Fastest and Most Accurate, High-performance Professional Digital Food/BBQ Thermometer - Lavatools Thermowand®: Instant Read Thermometers: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FDCF-cUhL.@@AMEPARAM@@41FDCF-cUhL[/ame]

For monitoring my pit temp, I use my Maverick. I haven't been using the food probe much recently since I have been cooking more to feel (and also doing more ribs, for which the food probe doesn't make sense). So I have been sticking my food probe through a small potato and putting it into my pit along with the pit probe.

The two are consistently about 35-40 degrees apart from one another. Pit probe always reads lower.

I calibrated both in boiling water and in an ice bath and both were within a couple of degrees of each other then (and right on with my Thermopen). Its the strangest thing - when theyre in the pit, I just don't get consistent readings between the two.

Any ideas anyone?

I don't necessarily have any ideas, other than the fact placing a probe too close to the meat or sandwiched in between multiple cuts (especially if the meat is cold) may be causing air flow issues.

I've been dealing with what I suspect to be similar issues as I learn on my UDS. On my first BB rib cook, I ran it with a diffuser and my Tel Tru and Maverick (which was calibrated) were within 3 degrees of each other at one point. I was thrilled.

Then, on a more recent BB rib cook, with the same set up, I think I had that same size differential as the TT was saying 250 at the perimeter yet the Maverick languished in the low 200's or so, with the diffuser but the Maverick was closely situated between (but not touching) two rib slabs. I think I'll probably take more notes going forward and simply learn where the Tel Tru needs to be for good butts, ribs, etc so I become less reliant on the Mavericks. I also think the air flow and heat dispersal, especially in a drum, tend to fluctuate a lot, especially without an ATC.

I also had what seemed like abnormal Maverick vs TT discrepancies when I cooked 2 butts in the top rack of my UDS, and had a drip pan on the bottom rack, plus the diffuser. I think the drip pan threw off my readings and acted as a second diffuser, but I needed the butts for a party and was afraid of a grease fire.

Original Thermopen , Maverick 733 , I-Grill(if you want wireless)

I have the Therm. and a2 Mav. 732's , love them.

Stan

Back