Building a Stoker

OK I just got these fans in, and I am quite impressed with them, the specs rate it at 16cfm, but they almost put out the same amount of air flow as my wifes hair dryer, cant speak for longevity of it yet, but as of 3pm today I have been running one of them for 21hrs and its still going strong, I plan on leaving this one on for 24hrs, then off for 24, and continue to rotate until it fails. My pid controller has an expected delivery date of 3/24-4/10 so it will still be a while for it to get here. Not being able to wait I found a cheap thermostat from an appliance repair shop and thought I would toy around with it and see how well it works for smoking. As it turns out it does work, but there is about a 50* temp swing, which could be manageable except that it turns on around 45* below target temp and turns off about 5* over, all I can say is that I am very glad I was able to return it.

I must be dyslexic... I thought it said building a stRoker, and I was wondering what did a v-twin have to do with Que?? I think I need meds...:doh:

OK I got my PID Controller in over the weekend, Im doing a hardwire to test it out before I mount everything, and either Im doing something wrong or the unit is faulty, going to do some more investigating tonight and I will update pics tomorrow. One thing I did discover is that the unit I ordered was advertised as C*/F*, as it turns out its only C*.

Ok here is the first round, some of my parts still haven’t been delivered yet but I couldn’t wait any longer. What I am still missing is a fused plug adapter, like whats on the back of a computer, a piezo electric alarm for my low temp alarm, and my cooling fans. Like I said I couldn’t wait so I dug in last night, lets start with the fan, I found it on the interweb Part # 9SIA32F18K1071 for 4.95, the 1/8” headphone female jack 2 for .99, the lead wire for the fan was also .99 and it is 12 foot long. Picked up the ammo box on sale for 4.99, and the flat mounting surface was recycled from a pistol box, thought it went well with the ammo box and I recessed it so that my fan and all my cords fit inside the box all nice and neat. PID Controller with a 6 foot K-Type thermocouple, and a solid state relay, got a really good deal from the same place I purchased the fans from for 13.99, the down side is it shipped from China and it took a while to get here. Other misc wires and input jack was scavenged from various electronics and crap I had laying around. The fused plug adapter was 4.59, alarm was .99, and the cooling fans were 2 for 4.95, total I have 36.26, since everything was ordered online I had no sales Tax, and I managed to get away with free shipping on everything, the ammo box I had to ship to a store and pick it up there, and I was initially charged shipping for the fans and the PID Controller, but since they were shipped separately and they were not able to meet their delivery date the shipping was refunded and I also got a 25% off code for my next order. One thing that I have realized is that I want a longer K-Type Thermocouple probably about 10 feet or so, and I want to put in a thermocouple plug into the face of it as well so it isn’t hard wired either, but those can come latter down the road, for the time being it works really good tested it on a toaster oven along with my Fluke multi meter with its own thermocouple temp sensor and a cheap Craftsman inferred thermometer, with all three reading Celsius I had a temp difference range of .2*C being the lowest to .7*C being the highest which was my home built controller. If the weather holds out it will get tested on the smoker this weekend on a couple of butts.

Last edited:
Back