Building a Stoker

Smokin J's PIts

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok Brethren, since I can’t justify spending the money right now on a stoker like the Guru, I have decided I am going to make one. I have been doing research for a couple of months now and have narrowed it down to a couple of different designs, and I wanted to see if anyone out there has made one or something similar, and if doing it over what if anything would you change. My plan is it will be hard mounted in the smoker, so it will not be removable, and when not in use will be stored out of the weather in a garage. The two designs I am leaning towards is either an automated PID controller type of set up, or going way old school with a quality oven thermostat as the control unit. Both ways seem to work very well from the research that I have found, but my concern is with the PID controller is the electronics failing, on the other hand with the more reliable oven thermostat will probably out live the PID controller you cannot change the high low/ on off range, its preset. Both can be operated off of 110V, and I have the option to use either a 110V fan, or I also have a 24V fan, so I have the fan covered for both types of set ups, that isn’t an issue, I just can’t decide on which controller to use. Any feedback or thoughts or ideas I am open to.

I'm working towards a heatermeter. Parts arrive today. I don't have experience with with PID or an oven therm. Im going to follow your thread to see how it goes.

I'd continue with one of your ideas since you already have lots of the parts.

Build a redneck controller. Use an electric skillet control wired to a wall wort that powers a computer fan

Here is the one my dad made for our team. He's made two, and a third one is in the works. I'm not sure if this is PID or not, but it controls a computer fan. Works really well. Ours are not mounted to the smokers, but they still work great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 340
I built a simple PID controller to a computer fan. I run this on my UDS, and it hold temp as stable as our kitchen oven.
image.jpg1_zpsl720zhy2.jpg

Here is the one my dad made for our team. He's made two, and a third one is in the works. I'm not sure if this is PID or not, but it controls a computer fan. Works really well. Ours are not mounted to the smokers, but they still work great.

Same basic idea, and path im considering. And I may end up putting it in a weather proof box after all if I go this route. Thanks for your feedback.

I built a simple PID controller to a computer fan. I run this on my UDS, and it hold temp as stable as our kitchen oven.
image.jpg1_zpsl720zhy2.jpg

Your fan is really similar to one that I have, and the yellow wire is to control fan speed, how do you have it hooked up, are you just supplying it 12V to run it wide open?

Build a redneck controller. Use an electric skillet control wired to a wall wort that powers a computer fan

Good call Bludawg, that was the first one I built, and why Im building this one, the problem that I have with that is im planning to build an insulated cabinet next and the heat probe will be too short.

I ended up ordering a PID kit from amazon, and while looking at those I stumbled across a squirrel cage fan I really liked so I picked up one of those as well. My question is with the PID controller it has an external SSR relay with it, what is the output voltage going to the SSR and can I run my 12v fan directly off of that?

Its 12 volts and it Will work if the amp is ok i use one that has A12 volt 3 amp output so more than enuf for most small vents check you're manual

Perfect timing on this thread , I was thinking of building one

Back