• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kick Starter Campaign

kghart

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I've dipped my toe in the water and after some successful vending and catering I'd like to take my business to the next level but my options are limited.

I can set up as a Temporary Food Establishment in my county, which I did for my initial trial run. However, I have to purchase a $50/permit that is only good for 14 days. This isn't an optimal setup for catering (if at all) and I don't think my HD would allow me to do this more than a couple of times.

My second option is to continue using a pop-up, temporary hand wash station and three container wash set-up as long as I have a commissary. I did this for a year after my trial run but unfortunately my commissary closed and I am having a heck of a time finding another one.

My third, and best, option is a Mobile Food Unit, which would keep me in compliance with the HD. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash to drop on a trailer at this time.

Another local BBQ place started a Kick Starter Campaign to raise money to launch their venture including a food truck. They raised a little over ten grand.

Have any other Brethren tried this method to raise business capital. If so, how did it go and what do I need to consider if I do?

I know of a local Brewery who raised 25K to help start up w Kickstarter. They key is effective social media and its a good idea to have some sort of media visible kickoff event. Also I think its a great idea to have a few thousand set aside to add to the pot at the end to keep from failing to fund. It can work but you better promote the heck out of it.

I don't understand the Kick Start idea I guess. Is it just asking people to give you money to start up a business? They get nothing in return? No food?

I don't understand the Kick Start idea I guess. Is it just asking people to give you money to start up a business? They get nothing in return? No food?

Not necessarily true. Here is a link to my Kickstarter (which isn't live yet). I AM actually going to give people food if they are local and I'm just doing sauce. I haven't decided my limit, but for the sake of argument lets just say within 100 miles. The thing to keep in mind when you offer these sort of things though is cost. Get an idea of what it will cost for each reward. Once you have that, then you need to decide if you can go out of pocket or if you need to dip into your Kickstarter funds. If the latter is the case, well then you will probably need to bump up your goal to cover the rewards. Sorry for the long paragraph. I like to check out other BBQ Kickstarters and it makes me a little sad when they fail.

This is just a rough draft. I'm still waiting for a few things to be ironed out (including my logo and website)

COPY-->https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1203583454/243221133?token=d80ad6fc<--COPY

Sorry, when I try to post the link it doesn't work. You'll need to copy and paste. Probably because I am still a noobie on here.

I will be offering rewards such as t-shirts, drop-off catering services and a contributor party to name a few.

Not necessarily true. Here is a link to my Kickstarter (which isn't live yet). I AM actually going to give people food if they are local and I'm just doing sauce. I haven't decided my limit, but for the sake of argument lets just say within 100 miles. The thing to keep in mind when you offer these sort of things though is cost. Get an idea of what it will cost for each reward. Once you have that, then you need to decide if you can go out of pocket or if you need to dip into your Kickstarter funds. If the latter is the case, well then you will probably need to bump up your goal to cover the rewards. Sorry for the long paragraph. I like to check out other BBQ Kickstarters and it makes me a little sad when they fail.

This is just a rough draft. I'm still waiting for a few things to be ironed out (including my logo and website)

COPY-->https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1203583454/243221133?token=d80ad6fc<--COPY

Sorry, when I try to post the link it doesn't work. You'll need to copy and paste. Probably because I am still a noobie on here.

[ame="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1203583454/243221133?token=d80ad6fc"]LINK[/ame]

You're welcome.......:biggrin1:

Hmmmmmm......well the site doesn't seem to like that link :confused:

I will be offering rewards such as t-shirts, drop-off catering services and a contributor party to name a few.

Nice. Yeah, I've found that the kickstarters with out well thought out rewards tend to fail

You're welcome.......

Hmmmmmm......well the site doesn't seem to like that link

lol same issue I ran into. I figured people didn't want to see my stupid owl.

Love the owl but I can't paste the link either..... I click on it and it works tho. Looks like you're coming along nicely. Best of luck.

Mod Note:

Just a friendly reminder :-D

From our rules:

Fundraisers
We acknowledge that everyone has a cause or favorite charity, but we cannot be burdening our membership by constantly posting fundraisers and $$ requests. We choose them carefully and do this to manage what goes on, not run the well dry and avoid drive-bys and fly-by-nights from using our forum haphazardly or for self serving purposes. Since we have already declined or deleted many requests and ventures, precedent has been set and we have to be fair.

Any fundraisers must be proposed or requested to the admin team. Each one is reviewed individually on a case by case basis. IF approved, they will be posted by the admins and/or mods after being reviewed, or you will be given the go ahead to post yourself. They are also reserved for tenured members whom we are familiar with and aware of the causes associated with the fundraiser. We also keep it to members and immediate families only. Please refrain from requesting fundraisers for your cousins soccer team, the local high school dance troop, your neighbors kids, or any third parties as they will likely be declined and we prefer NOT to be put on the spot or in a position that may case ill feelings. Any self-serving campaign will also not be allowed, so be prepared. This also pertains to kickstarter campaigns and gofundme sites.

Back