Barbecue cocktails

BKish25

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Not everyone who comes to my cookouts likes beer and even a few of my craft brew friends like a change of pace every now and then.

What mixed drinks do you serve guests while they wait for the food to come off the grill? I get requests in advance to make my sangria recipe:

2 bottles Rojas or semi-dry red wine
6 oz Brandy
6 oz​
Licor 43 Spanish Vanilla Liqueur
6 oz Sweet Vermouth
3 pints Fruit Juice (e.g. white grape, peach, blended)
6 C Mixed Berries or cubed Fruit in season
3 T Sugar

Combine ingredients in a large jug a and let the fruit mascerate for day before serving. Serve over ice. Optional: top each serving with splash of Sierra Mist or 7-Up. For the holidays, I add several cinnamon sticks and cloves to the jug.

Good variation. I want to make some.

I call my variation the baby maker.

2-3 parts Franzia chillable red
1 part cake vodka
Lemon twist
Serve with lots of ice. It drinks too easy.

The name has to do with my trailer park-fertility axiom.

We make something we call summer ale. It has proven to be a big hit.

Ingredients:
1 Can Frozen Limeade
Vodka (same amount as the can of frozen limeade)
2-3 of beers, preferably Mexican but doesn't really matter. I wouldn't use a craft beer, dark beer or IPA.

Put the frozen limeade in a pitcher.
Fill up the frozen limeade canister with vodka and dump that in the pitcher.
Add 2-3 beers
Add ice and stir

Serve over ice. Very good, very refreshing, and you can't even taste the alcohol.

Another drink is called the Green Lizard. It is a frozen drink that is very popular.

Ingredients:
1 small can of frozen limeade mix
Vodka (same amount as small can of limeade mix)
10-ish fresh mint leaves
Ice

Put it all in a blender and blend until the consistency is like a frozen margarita.

Everyone likes maragritas, so that, long island iced tea, and moonshine from the NC mountains. Several flavors of beer available.

I do a version of long islands we call Audios MF (use your imagination on the MF) around here, gotta be careful because it is rather potent.

Audios MF

1 part vodka
1 part gin
1 part tequila
1 part rum
1 part blue curacao
2 parts sweet and sour mix
top with a splash of sprite

I usually mix the alcohols ahead of time and add the sweet and sour and sprite to order

I tend to stick with Buffalo Trace over ice or whiskey and coke.

The common BBQ drinks here on the farm are rum or bourbon and Cokes, Long Island ice teas, various wines and beers, and white lightning.

A newly discovered drink concoction I came up with for the wife and the other ladies that like fruitier sweet drinks is one part Absolut pear vodka and 2-3 parts Welch's mango passion fruit juice. I was experimenting trying to recreate a drink called the "Wake Me Up At 4" from Scruples in Hawaii, a club I frequented with some buddies. This came darn close to it, taste pretty good, and is a real hit with the ladies.

Okinawa is generally pretty darned warm. I like cold beverages.
- Mint Juleps are tough to beat if you don't mind a little work. Use quality bourbon.
- If folks want something w/o ice, I'm always a big fan of a Manhattan. (Sensing a trend, are we?)
- Not looking for something quite so strong? I recommend a Bourbon Slush (made the night before for even more chilled goodness)!

Just 2 cents from an old Tarheel in the Pacific.

SD

Me? Beer or Bourbon. My wife will usually put together some margaritas, and have some wine on hand, though.

I'll make margaritas for people on BBQ days. If the numbers are small I might make some old fashioneds but only for those who I know will actually appreciate them. I homebrew so there is usually some of that always on hand and my wife likes some of the hard ciders so those can usually be found as well.

Mar....AMF's is a dangerous day drink. That's a good way to get people hammered and puking in your smoker lol

Bobby Flay's "Barbecue Cocktail" from his Bar Americain cookbook has been making the rounds on the internet:

Ingredients

Ice cubes
2 ounces jalapeño vodka
¼ ounce dry vermouth
1 ounce tomato juice
½ ounce fresh lime juice, plus ¼ teaspoon for rimming glass
Pinch of kosher salt, plus ¼ teaspoon for rimming glass
Pinch of smoked sweet Spanish paprika, plus ¼ teaspoon for rimming glass
¼teaspoon sugar for rimming glass
Lime twist, for garnish

Directions

1. Fill a mixing glass with ice and add the vodka, vermouth, tomato juice, lime juice, salt and paprika. Stir vigorously until the outside of the glass is beaded with sweat and frosty.

2. Combine the 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon sugar on a small plate. Wet the rim of a chilled martini glass with 1/4 teaspoon lime juice and dip the rim in the salt mixture. Tap off any excess.

3. Strain the drink into the chilled martini glass and garnish with the lime twist.

Last edited:
Wild turkey 101 w/ coke, thats my default adult beverage other than beer. But Bloody Mary's with some HDD and a slice of bacon sound good.

I like good tequila strait.

For my wife I like to make SWEET drinks. I make a strawberry daiquiri that tastes like a slurpy.

I want to make a decent margarita so bad but they turn out terrible..
I do not like the sweet mixes..

I can't screw up a good double of Don Julio Anejo.

I like good tequila strait.

For my wife I like to make SWEET drinks. I make a strawberry daiquiri that tastes like a slurpy.

I want to make a decent margarita so bad but they turn out terrible..
I do not like the sweet mixes..

I can't screw up a good double of Don Julio Anejo.

Ditch the commercial margarita mix completely (as well as commercial sweet & sour mixes). A margarita should have nothing other than lime juice, tequila, and a bit of triple sec or other orange liqueur. To take some some the tart edge off, add 2T powdered sugar or 2 tsp blue agave nectar. The sweetness should not dominate the drink.

+1 to Bludawg. Being in the craft beer industry, that and "craft whiskey" are my only options.

Back