Discussion Thread ->SPECIAL*** "Big Farking Sammich!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Our new May Special TD category is..."BIG FARKING SAMMICH!"

_MG_6563-2_zps63fbaf14.jpg

This was SHagdog's entry in the 2014 Dagwood TD Voting Thread

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

1. Make a Big Farking Sammich

2. Standard Throwdown rules apply.

3. MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED and encouraged for this TD!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/1 through
the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Tuesday 5/26/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Tuesday 5/26/15

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen. __________________

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me rephrase then. Where are the entries here? C'mon folks! Let's see some sammiches! We're a week into this one already.

You don't have to compete with that, I'm sure Paul will get much crazier this year

Let me rephrase then. Where are the entries here? C'mon folks! Let's see some sammiches! We're a week into this one already.

I missed your entry, G :wink: :boink: let me look through the thread again...

:becky:

Last edited:
Great Entry! - How did you do the magic Gif stuff?

I can see the post and my Thanks is linked to the Never cooked that thread but I can't find the cook thread in Qtalk? You are magic!

Great Entry! - How did you do the magic Gif stuff?

I can see the post and my Thanks is linked to the Never cooked that thread but I can't find the cook thread in Qtalk? You are magic!

Thanks, no magic involved, you probably don't have a high enough security clearance to see it in Q-Talk. :becky:

Or maybe because I didn't post it there. :tsk: I do need to get over there more often.

As for the gif's I just uploaded my pics to this site https://imgflip.com/images-to-gif and it did all the work for me. :thumb:

The 20 Layer - Double Tri-Tip Sandwich

This is my entry into the “Big Farking Sandwich” Throwdown.

I had a curveball thrown at me in the middle of making this, so I had to rethink the name, but I’m very happy with how this turned out.

First off, a Really Big Sandwich takes a really long post, so bear with me.

To pull this off I spend days of careful planning.

First I baked some beer bread on the kamado.

(See link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210270)

The next day I cooked up some killer Tri-Tip.

(See link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210276)

I knew that a really big sandwich would require some precision engineering so I purchased a cheap mandolin to keep all the cut veggies the same thickness. Next I searched my freezer for some of my kamado cooked leftovers. Here is what I thought was some leftover Pastrami and some Turkey from last Christmas.

Here is the mandolin I purchased.

And most of the veggies sliced up and most the rest of the ingredients.

Took my beer bread and carefully sliced it into 4 lengthwise slices.

I made up a bacon weave for one of my layers.

Because it’s difficult to flip a weave I heated up my bacon press to smoking hot and placed it on top.

I then toasted the bread on the kamado.

I spread out some mayo on the bottom slice. Then a layer of Pepper Jack, Cucumber and the fresh Tri-Tip. Then onion and Red Pepper.

Remember I thought that that package was Pastrami so I started making up a Rueben sandwich for the middle slices. I then opened up the package to put this supposed Pastrami on the Swiss cheese and found out it was leftover Tri-Tip. (Oh Darn! :lol:) I was going to name this the Big TriRueKey for Tri-Tip, Rueben and Turkey, but since no Pastrami I had to quickly rethink that. Oh well change of plans, so I heated up the Tri-Tip and placed it on top of the melted Swiss cheese on the next slice and continue building this monster in a different way. I added Pickle slices, some Muenster cheese and the Bacon.

Next slice of bread with spicy brown mustard, more Swiss Cheese and the Turkey. Then some Tomato slices with some fresh cracked black pepper and more Swiss cheese and placed it in an oblong Fish pan to heat it up.

Now on the kamado at 300 degrees.

After 3 minutes the cheese is starting to melt.

Brought it inside and added some Lettuce and it’s lid.

Took it out of the pan. This is the backside of the sandwich.

I turned it around and placed a ruler next to it to give it some scale.

I then stuck wooden skewers in both sides so I could cut this thing.

Here are the cut shots.

And here is the Money Shot.
jfj97t.jpg

I cut it into 4th's and even then I had to eat this thing as 2 sandwiches. The top half came off and was eaten first. I then ate the bottom half. It was very good. :becky:

The entire cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210345

Here is my entry (or maybe one of my entrees?) into the "Big Farking Sandwich" Throwdown.

I'm going with a Stromboli (Italian sandwich), with a breakfast theme. I must say it was delicious!

You can see the whole cook here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210430

Started with this stuff;
Breakfast%20Stromboli%20002_zpshoeyxxkq.jpg

And it evolved like this;
Breakfast%20Stromboli%20004_zpsldq1v1kh.jpg

Breakfast%20Stromboli%20008_zps6wfm1lgk.jpg

Onto the Kettle with apple wood for smoke;
Breakfast%20Stromboli%20011_zpsqfrxpzmx.jpg

Fast forward;
Breakfast%20Stromboli%20024_zpsmidwyhw9.jpg

Some dough, some eggs and some cheese;
Breakfast%20Stromboli%20028_zpsiscpewni.jpg

Breakfast%20Stromboli%20032_zpsmp0kjvbj.jpg

Breakfast%20Stromboli%20036_zpssi1fia4p.jpg

Wrapped, dressed up for the party, and baked;
Breakfast%20Stromboli%20039_zps4awiu4vs.jpg

Breakfast%20Stromboli%20040_zpstmkb8ecc.jpg

Breakfast%20Stromboli%20042_zps8ygkwfzt.jpg

And the following shot for my entry shot please;
Breakfast%20Stromboli%20044_zpstahmjsgn.jpg

I just love the oozing, gooey melting cheese. It took the wife and I a couple days to polish this off, it was even good reheated........it was delicious!

Thanks for looking all!

Keep o Qing,
KC

Just so you know, Sir Yote, I officially hate you now.

Oh, do you deliver?

Back