Discussion Thread -> "Blue Plate Special!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Blue Plate Special!"

1499668_bluetang.jpg

This is Bluetang's 2011 winning dish in the "New Year's Traditions" Throwdown. View the vote thread

As chosen by CharredApron for winning the "Food Truck Cookin'!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING:

CharredApron said:
Lets do a "Blue Plate Special" Throwdown.

Americans have a time honored love for diners, drive-in's and dives. Lets replicate the ultimate dish from our favorite greasy spoon and show off your short order prowess. No special rules other than the standard throwdown rules apply. Lets see what y'all got!

P.S Paper Hats are optional:clap2:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/10 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 4/20/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 4/20/15.

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue Plate Throw down

Please except as entry into the blue plate throw down.

Seared sashimi grade tuna
Tequila lime shrimp
Green beans with ginger sauce
Brown rice with quinoa
Sour dough bread (store bought)

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 488
Smoked meatloaf with mushroom-sour cream gravy.

There is no doubt that the term "Blue Plate Special" brings up a whole lot of different ideas for us all. for me, the image that first comes to mind is meatloaf.

So, here is my entry in the "Blue Plate Special" Throwdown.

Some bacon wrapped meatloaf with some hickory for smoke, cooked on the Kettle;
Smoked%20meatloaf%20Blue%20plate%20special%20008_zpsoelystj7.jpg

Smoked%20meatloaf%20Blue%20plate%20special%20013_zpsiashcjar.jpg

Smoked%20meatloaf%20Blue%20plate%20special%20015_zpsgxyrcanx.jpg

Please use he next shot as my entry please, sliced, plated and some sour cream and mushroom gravy, boy was it tasty!!;
Smoked%20meatloaf%20Blue%20plate%20special%20019_zpsovvataxm.jpg

Thanks for looking all. You can see the cook thread here;
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208423.

Keep on Qing All,

KC

(not on a) Blue Plate Special - Grill Fried Chicken Dinner

This my entry into the "Blue Plate Special" throwdown. If only I had a "Blue" plate! :laugh:

First I cooked up some Grill Fried Chicken.

Yesterday I made up some garlic sour cream mashed potatoes.

Also made up some Cheesy Corny Bread.

And some Bourbon Glazed Carrots.

I put these all together for a (not on a) Blue Plate Special - Grill Fried Chicken Dinner.

Below is the Money Shot.

Comfort food at its finest. :thumb:

The entire cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208478

I wasn't going to enter this one but my girl wanted ribs so I thought I would document the cook. Please except the following as my "blue plate special" entry.

Around here a blue plate special is home cooked, not much comes from a can. So I decided to keep it real. Riblets served with roasted beets, mac and cheese, and country ham green beans.

ENTRY PHOTO:

Full cook thread here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3217984#post3217984

When I was a kid my parents rarely went out to eat. When they did it was usually to a little dive where my Mom would always order the shrimp and my Dad would always get the steak and baked potato.

Here is my official "Blue Plate" Special Mesquite Smoked Reverse Seared New York Strip with Baked Potato entry.

Entry shot.

Official Blue light special entry..... I mean blue Plate.

I was looking at some menu's for some local restaurants online and came across a Blue plate special of braised short ribs, then at the butcher case I saw some beautiful English cut short ribs. That's when I knew that I needed to braise some shorties so I had the butcher cut me up some 2" flanken cut.

Seasoned with fresh cracked pepper and salt.

Seared all sides on the grill.

Started the braising liquid with 2 cups onion, 1 cup carrots, 5 cloves of garlic and 1 cup of celery.

The celery went in last after some tomato paste and 3 TBS of flour and deglazed with 2 cups red wine.

Reduced the wine a bit, added 2 cups of beef broth then all the kids went into the pool.

Then a 2 hour ride @ 300-350.

The payoff.

Grilled some veggies.

Plated with mashed taters and asparagus.

Vote pic please.

Had a solar eclipse of a tree that cast a shadow on all my plated pics here's a pic which shows the color better as well as the texture.

Thanks for lookin'. :thumb:

Blue plate special

Well to be honest I've never heard of a blue plate special, probably before my time. Seems to be some meat and a few sides offered at a diner. Looks like bonus points are awarded for home style cooking from scratch. Well I can do that.

We had a weekend bbq for Sunday and I tried to go all out. All the food was made close to scratch as could be, I mean we didn't make the mayo ourselves. Yes I said we. This would be the first ever team ninja throwdown entry as becky :)becky:) took care of the sides using her own recipes and all.

Here's the sort of cook thread for the event.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208640

And yes, in case your wondering, I won the ladder ball tournament.

Now for the good stuff.

For meats I went traditional, pork butt and brisket.

I also made homemade pickles and the finishing sauce for the meat, keiths world famous pulled pork sauce. That concludes the ninja portion of this cook.

The real stars of this show were the sides Becky prepared. First of was the coleslaw. In the mix was a bit of red cabbage and carrots. It was great, not overly vinegary with a nice crunch.

Usually we do more of a mustard potato salad but I had a creamy redskin salad at a bbq joint and had to try our own.

potato salad has a special place on my heart and is at the top of my list for summer salads. For some killer recipes check out the legendary potato salad thread here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189103

The rain threatened but in the end it held of just long enough. What an enjoyable day. while the plate wasn't blue it certainly was special.

Official polling photo

Thanks for looking and good luck to all the entries.

Good golly Miss Molly! Sure a whole lotta fine eatin' goin' on!

That's a wrap, folks! I'll get the poll erected in just a bit!

Back