lonestargrillz vertical cabinet disappointment

It is pretty small. I thought about welding a bolt to it, but didn't really want to have to do it. I am going to try a little more before I resort to that. I don't want to mess up the stainless steel under it.

I got some time to fire it up today. I went ahead and installed the new handle Chris sent me and I also took the existing catch off the smoker and extended the holes up a little. This allowed me to slide the catch down slightly farther. I fired it and got the temp up over 350 for a few hours. The door never popped open. I even tried to pull on the door while it was at 350 and couldn't get the door to open. I don't know if it was a faulty handle or if the catch just needed to be moved slightly more, but it seems to be functioning correctly now. I told Chris about it today, and he was glad to hear that it was working better. He also recommended that I could keep the handles locked while I am cooking on it and there is no way the doors could open then. I will be cooking some pork butts next Thursday for my daughter's 3 year old birthday party. Hopefully things are all worked out and will go smoothly.

Update : I cooked 4 butts, a packer brisket and 3 racks of baby backs last Thursday for my daughter's 3 year old birthday party. Everything turned out great. I didn't have any issues with the door opening either. I did have to leave it a couple of times, so I locked the handles just yo make sure. The brisket was for dinner Thursday night and was just right. It was my 2nd butcher paper brisket and I was really happy with how it turned out. The butts where super moist and everyone destroyed them at the party. We made sliders on Hawaiian rolls and they where a big it. Some guys went back for 3rds. I also took the advice of putting pans on the bottom rack to catch the drippings, and it made clean up way easier. I will be doing that from now on. I didn't get to try the ribs, they where for a buddy of mine.

Back